Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Pickups, Pickups, Pickups Stop by and pickup on the discussion here about... pickups.

Old May 11th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Which Gibsons have which pickups?

I'm new to the forum and new to Gibsons, although wanting one for some time, just SO damned expensive.

Anyway, I'm selling my vintage 1972 Martin D-18 to finance two electric guitars; an Eric Clapton Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul of some kind. The Strat is pretty limited in its downside value as I want a 2000 or newer for the Vintage Noiseless Pups instead of the earlier Gold Lace Sensors.

And, therein, lies my problem. I'm pretty sure from everything I've listened to (YouTube etc.), guitar shops, etc. that were remotely in my price range, I found limited choices that I really liked... loved. The very best I liked was a late 1990's Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Flame Maple Top, Medium Green Top... quite a looker... tasteful. It was very sweet on the high notes and tight everywhere else. The only reason I didn't buy it only because it was on consignment and I couldn't put it on layaway. From what I've been able to tell, it probably had the '57 Classic Pickups in it, and I loved them in the chambered body.

The problem is, every time I think I've got figured out which pickups are in which guitars, I see another one for sale that doesn't have what it's "supposed" to in it according to the seller. I assume there's no way to tell from the outside.

Does anybody out there have a definitive guide to which models and years have which Pups in them?

Any help would be appreciated.

DaveDaDude is offline Offline   Reply With Quote