Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Pickups, Pickups, Pickups Stop by and pickup on the discussion here about... pickups.

Old July 8th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus9614
PAF's

PAF=patient applied for harkens back to Gibsons earliest forerays into guitar electronics They are my current favorite style thoughI haven't whittle em down to "FAVORITE, NUMERAL UNO!!"..
So; I have this dilemma.. What's good, better, best??
I have three sets that I've yet to try and I am trying to figure where they'd go best.
Seymour Duncan's Alinco ll Pro Slash.,, Seymour Duncans Pearly Gates.. And Dimarzio's PAF Master bridge DP261 and DP 260N.
I have a DP260 neck in my Epiphone LP Special and think its great!!
At present I am thinking of putting them either in a Telecaster, maple setneck, ..or;
A special that I have a couple of necks to finish and decide between..or
A Walnut HH Stratocaster body That I am waiting completion from the builder... All the above is open for change.
Some input and opinions on the PAF's appreciated
ikeus

ikeus9614 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Humbucker

It's what you like!

Over the years I've swopped pickups again and again and my conclusion is - they may be "different" but "better" is very subjective so it's what sounds good to you. Unfortunately we are subject to all manner of articles and opinions and "beliefs" from so-called experts and those who want to sell product.

That said - Gibson, Seymour and DiMarzio all make good product but who makes the "correct" PAF? A magazine article interviewing Seth Lover - the creator - had him saying; "Son! We wound them till they were full!" Which kind of defeats those experts who claim to know exact ratios of turns etc.

My personal opinion. Gibson pickups sound...like a Gibson! Never had a bad Seymour; they are very well made a bit more "Hi Fi!" And Di-Marzio -well they have a bit more grunt. The one PAF I didn't like was a "Kent Armstrong designed" oriental clone - rather thin and weak IMHO.

Then of course there's magnets. Experts will tell you its got to be Alnico II but Gibson did use what they had at the time and my Memphis 345 has one II in the bridge and a lovely IV in the neck. Got rid of my LP traditional as the assymetric '61 pickups sounded bad to me.

So! I think the PAF magic thing is a bit of snake oil - let your ears be the judge.
MickeyB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extroadinare

There are so many great pickup winders out there, it is very hard to even find a bad one!

Here's one you might not have even heard of, try Zhangbucker and see what that gentleman has to offer. He has some great options.

I currently run a variety of Gibson and Seymour Duncan pickups and I also have a pair of Jim Wagner's pups that are outstanding. And like the man said, pickup selection is at least as personally subjective as amplifiers! Enjoy the quest!
Makes some men crazy and they start to drool.
SAguitar is offline Offline   Reply With Quote