Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum
Registered Member Login:
Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gibson & Epiphone Guitar Forum.

You're going to love it here. We've got Gibson & Epiphone forums, member galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting here requires registration. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Notices

Pickups, Pickups, Pickups Stop by and pickup on the discussion here about... pickups.

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Humbucker

P90 vs. P100

I've read that the P100 isn't as well thought of as the P90 and am wondering what the difference is. I love P90's but have never played a P100 equipped guitar. Thanks.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Gibson Guy,
The P-100's are fatter warmer sounding and a whole lot quieter. A great blues guitar pickup!
I hear so much negative feedback about the P-100's but I really like them.
I read someplace that if you put a coil tap on the P-100's the output in single coil mode is way hotter than a regular P-90. I was going to do this mod but decided to leave it alone. Also, I heard Gibson is not making these pickups anymore.
dandaman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Historic

I'm not so sure about P-100s being fatter and warmer sounding. Mine have alot of midrange, and actually lack bass response. Also, they aren't particularly quiet, either. I've been thinking of replacing them. I like the bark that they have, but really need more bass to give it some more versatility, and also make it a good tone for jazz rhythm type stuff.
Joe-Bob is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

Gimme real P-90s'!

Gibson Guy,

I had the stock P-100's in my LP Special and replaced them with SD Vintage P-90's. They sound similar to the chrome "dog-ear" P-90's that were in my old Epiphone (made in Kalamazoo!) . They sound great.
Those P-100's were lacking, to my ears. YMMV

Respectfully,
Eggman
eggman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
RnB
Gibson Talker

I don't have a problem w/ the P-100's in my ES-135. IMO, they sound pretty good & they are quiet. Thought about yankin' them, but I could'nt see the point.
However, put up against my '63 ES-330 w/ P-90's, you can really hear the rawness of a P-90. Quite a difference. There is a hum a high volumes, but it's not that terrible. They are everything that you've heard about...and then some. A real killer sounding pup!
RnB is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Historic

Well, I ordered a set of Duncan P-90s for my LPjr, special. I want to have a better sound from this nearly unuseable (for me) guitar. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Humbucker

I use the the Duncan SP90-3 in my Special. It still has the character of an alnico P90, but is much stronger in a hot amp.
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Historic

Well, I put mine in, and I just love 'em!

I got a vintage P-90 for the neck, and a hot P-90 for the bridge. They sound a little different from each other, but in a good way. The neck pup goes from full, rich jazz to full-blown rock, the neck pup sounds great with distortion....hog heaven, boys.
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gibson Talker

On my LPS, I put in a set of Fralin P-90s. For the neck, I got the alnico pole model, and had it 5% underwound. For the bridge, i put in his regular model but 5% overwound. The 10% difference balances them fairly well. The biggest surprise is the alnico pole P-90 sounds like a cross between a regular P-90 and a Strat pup. It has the best of each. It's a winner!
Tremo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Historic

The P-90s I got have alnico in the neck and ceramic in the bridge. They do sound a little different, but I'm still diggin' it!