80's Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Gibson Solid Bodies' started by jamesdood, Aug 2, 2018.

1. jamesdood

jamesdood New Member

I am curious about my guitar. I purchased this guitar in the mid 80s from a dealer in New Mexico. I can't find a serial number on it and haven't seen a guitar with the same type of control knob, input configuration. I replaced the original humbucker on it quite a while back with a Seymour Duncan invader and it sounds really mean and plays fantastic. Any tips on where I could look for identifying marks or other ideas on how to ID this instrument? Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place. Best initial source of info on guitars is always the manufacturer. They will try and help if they can. Fender & Gibson have always responded to my questions. They will need to see pics of the guitar including serial no if you can. I know you say there isn't one but take pics of back and front including closeups of the headstock.

Good luck

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

That is one wild looking Explorer!

4. jamesdood

jamesdood New Member

Thanks, I will do that and let you guys know what I find..

5. jamesdood

jamesdood New Member

80's Explorer Answer

Gibson sure was fast in a response, turns out it is an XPL Custom Explorer, made in 1985-86, thanks for the advice!

Attached Files:

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Well, there ya go dood! That's pretty cool, we send folks to their site probably every week and they usually respond with good information.

7. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Yes they always try to help.