Any love for SS amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Town' started by LRS, Oct 10, 2014.

1. LRS

LRS New Member

Personally I prefer the feel of a tube amp. Especially a cranked one, I have the feeling that the amp reacts to my play. For home use however, I've got a 20W Roland Cube in the living room. It's closed, no exposed high voltage tubes (so harmless for the kids)indestructable (also for the kids), it sounds acceptable when I play my Guitar on the couch when the boys are sleeping upstairs. Anyone?

2. anfontan

anfontan New Member

I did some trading a few years back and got a Roland Cube30, I planned to use it around the house for practice-but I've used it often for small gigs.

It has some nice amp sims and the size and weight is ideal-so I can save the wear and tear on my tubes.

I can't say its indestructable though-its weak part is the plastic input jack, it will easily break off if the amp gets bumped accidentally in loading/unloading-thats how mine was damaged.

The good part is that the jack can be repaired with a part from antique electronics supply-for $1.95 plus shipping. Roland will charge you for the entire circuit board-about $200 or more!!!

The part is S-H533-A at antique electronics supply.

3. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

Yes, my Fender Acoustasonic amp is ss, and killer!

...wisdom

4. S. Rock

S. Rock Active Member

I have a Crate G60 that is Solid State. however, I have one Gretsch guitar with DynaSonic pickups that it can not handle very well without "breaking up". so, I've gone back to using my tube amps.

5. TFTRL

TFTRL New Member

I use to like SS for consistency of tone but that was a long time ago. Now i prefer the dynamics of tubes or a very good tube/hybrid modeling amp such as what I own with the Fender Super Champ X2.

6. Infant

Infant Active Member

I have a Peavey Transtube Studio Pro where we rehearse and I'm really impressed with it....very clean and quiet. Great for recording too.

However, although the Transtube does a pretty good tube imitation, it can't beat my Champ, SFDR or Blues Deluxe for dynamics

7. TFTRL

TFTRL New Member

Rob, I remember well the days when Transtube was being introduced via all the guitar magazine ads. I remember playing one for the first time. I wasn't overly impressed but could definitely tell it was different than a SS in terms of feel when playing thru it. Peavey is one of those companies I have a fondness for because my first real amp was a Peavey and my beginnings on guitar were on a Classic Chorus SS.

8. Infant

Infant Active Member

Yeah, my first real amp was one of those hybrid Peavey Classics from the 70s. I gigged with that amp almost every weekend for nearly 20 years ...never a problem. Nowadays, I believe used Peaveys are the best bang for the buck as they sell for peanuts while being decent and very reliable.

9. SpareRibs

SpareRibs New Member

Hello,
    I have modified two SS amps with amazing results. One was an off brand RMS 20 and the other was a Fender Squier 15. I cut the bottom off and added 2" of wood to each side. I put a 12" speaker in the cabinet.
    Next I obtained the schematic and offset the clipping diodes. Left the back off, both now sound huge. With the unique controls of the Fender, as it has treble, mid range, and bass, it is capable of dialing in a much wider range of sounds than any Fender amp with only treble and bass.

10. wrvond

wrvond New Member

I've got a couple tube amps that I really like -
    a 1993 Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10:
    [​IMG]
    and a 2012 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue:
    [​IMG]
    However, as much as I like them, I have a few SS amps that I use far more often.
    First is the 2013 Fender Champion 40:
    [​IMG]

11. wrvond

wrvond New Member

Less often than the Champion, but still more often than the tubers is this 2010 Fender Frontman 25R:
    [​IMG]
    Until recently, my "motel amp" has been this 1 watt Fender '57 Mini Twin with wood case, reverb, headphone jack and twin two inch speakers:[​IMG]
    However, I recently acquired this used Yamaha THR5 and am really impressed with it's power and versatility:
    [​IMG] Plus, it's got cool LED lights to simulate tubes. ;)

12. benthedemon007

benthedemon007 New Member

I've heard really good things about the orange micro terror

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MikeyH

MikeyH New Member

I bought a used Squier CV 50's Tele from a guy that had one of those little SS Yamahas. Played the Tele through it in his garage. The little amp sounded huge, maybe partly because of the empty concrete-floored space. All my current amps are tube amps, but I was impressed by the Yamaha. I had seen one in the local music store and didn't realize it had speakers. I looks like a head.

14. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I've got a couple that are definitely worth plugging into. One is a Tech 21 Trademark 60, and the other is a Fender Stage 100. They are both as solid state as they can get and both do a good job of amplifying.

15. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

A friend of mine uses one at a local jam and to be honest it sounds bloody awful. While it's probably ok for home use, in a band situation it just doesn't cut through. To me it sounds like a little buzz saw or even a swarm of wasps.

I'm not anti Orange as I use a Dual Terror at the same jam. I also have a Tiny Terror.

16. Infant

Infant Active Member

My main gigging amp is an original Blues Deluxe. When it start acting up a few years ago, I picked up a red stripe Peavey Studio Pro to use as a backup. I found that although it sounded pretty decent, it wasn't powerful enough with our heavy handed drummer. So I went looking for a Bandit and found a red stripe version for about $75 US. This thing kicks @$$ !!!! I've used it numerous times on gigs and it does a fairly decent job of emulating tube sag. It also has a resonance switch which loosens up the bottom end. Now that I've gotten my BD fixed, I've put the Studio Pro up for sale and I'm going to leave the Bandit at our rehearsal space.

Rob

17. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

You can't beat the greatness of the original Roland JC-120. I still have my '84!

...wisdom

18. Srini

Srini New Member

19. AlanBiker

AlanBiker New Member

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Marshall Code 25 or 50 - anyone tried one yet?

Alan

20. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

The other lead guitarist in my band has one and it's quite good, but IMO it's not as good as a valve amp.

I never use pedals and it a;ways seems like something is missing when I plug into a solid state amp even the Blues Cube. There's not enough 'oomph' for me.