Any love for SS amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Town' started by LRS, Oct 10, 2014.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Yes, i believe Boss has done a good thing with this Katana series.

2. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

I drive all my effects into a Tech 21 Liverpool as my "amp" and then into a Cabzeus......straight to the board/PA from there. And I LOVE the tones I get. I keep a Deluxe Reverb around for those times when a tube amp is necessary, but hardly ever turn it on anymore.

3. GibSG

GibSG Member

I have an old PEAVEY Bandit 112 Shieffield at home, Transtube technology is very good.

[​IMG]

4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

The question is really too general. There are a lot of SS amps out there and you are just going to have to try a couple and see what you think. Find a later model Fender, Roland, or Vox for starters.

5. Infant

Infant Active Member

A few years ago, I bought a red stripe Peavey Studio Pro but I found it couldn't cut it with our heavy handed drummer. I wanted it to work so badly as my old body was getting tired of lugging my old Blues Deluxe up and down the stairs. Besides, I was starting to have some issues with the BD at that time. So I found a red stripe Bandit for $100. Reliable as heck but it weighed just as much as the BD. Once I got the BD repaired, I sold the Bandit....big mistake. Shoulda sold the BD and kept the Bandit as it had a great clean sound and took pedals very well. Don't get me wrong, I still like my BD but the Bandit doesn't require a lot of maintenance or tubes.

In my new band, the drummer has a nice light touch and I've started using my Studio Pro....just like the Bandit but easier on my back and best of all....reliable. The Transtube technology also works pretty well.

Peavey makes damn good amplifiers. Unfortunately, many guitar players look down on Peavey which has caused them to sell quite cheaply on the used market. However, people are starting to take notice and prices are starting to rise up here in Canada. I sold my Bandit for $80 more than I paid after a year and I've noticed them running for up to $300 nowadays.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

6. shupe13

shupe13 Member

I played my AC30CC2 for the first time since I bought my Katana 100. After about 10 minutes I went back to the Katana lol!
    If you haven’t tried one you’re seriously missing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. d man

d man New Member

8. Infant

Infant Active Member

I agree Dana....after trying one out at my local Long and Mcquade, I was very impressed. But I couldn't bring home another amp as I need to thin the herd first. I've got amps that I rarely use plus my son's amps and guitars that I've been babysitting. It's too cluttered in my basement. The good news is that he put an offer in on a house today which means he can take his stuff with him and I can get my Katana 100!! The bad news is I lose the use of his guitars and amps!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

There's always an upside and a downside!

10. Duffman

Duffman New Member

You also have good taste in Stereo gear,
    I still have the original NAD 3020 amp/pre-amp and Rec.(late 70's)
    The little amp that started it all.

I have a 75 wt Line 6 Spider Jam that has started me playing again with the jam tracks and looping and recording features.
    I may look for a small good sounding tube amp and leave the effects to a Zoom G1X pedal and the Boss BR80 unit I picked up.

11. vinnie1971

vinnie1971 New Member

I love my Roland Blues Cube.
    It does exactly what it’s designed to. It does only one thing and it does it perfectly.

There are no downsides.

I want vintage tweed tones with the reliability and portability of a modern SS amp.

Ok the Blues Cube is a bit more than just a solid state amp but it is that good.

Here’s a demo using my Cort Yorktown BV fitted with Gibson 57 Classic PAF reissues. This sounds and performs like it should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJ0_CE1tHA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. vinnie1971

vinnie1971 New Member

Those are great!

13. vinnie1971

vinnie1971 New Member

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin New Member

I use a DV Mark Little Jazz for jazz gigs in bar etc.perfect with my Midtown and Burstbuckers.I also have a Fender Champion 40 which sounds good .I use a Joyo American sound with my DV to dirty it all up if needed.

15. Infant

Infant Active Member

Well back in May, I picked up a Katana 100 with the mating footswitch and sold my Blues Deluxe. Ive played a few gigs so far and I’m very impressed. The footswitch allows up to 8 programable channels and the Boss Tone Studio allows one to download effects and amp sims. I haven’t gone into the tone studio yet as I’ve got to find the proper USB cable to download updates. However, the amp is ready to go right out of the box. I just set up 4 channels using the onboard amp sims and effects.
    This thing really kicks butt. I’ve got it set up using the 50watt setting and the master half way up and there’s more than enough volume to be heard above our heavy handed drummer. I can’t imagine how loud it would be on the 100watt setting. I’m really enjoying this amp.

16. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I need to change thing up once in awhile, so last weekend I swapped my normal stage amp for one of my backup amps. So now we're running through an old Fender Stage 100. It's been sitting and waiting in the back hallway for years, just hoping for an opportunity to sing. And it did pretty fine, so I'll probably give it another shot this weekend. It is solid state, but sounds a lot like a good old Fender tube amp, at least in its clean settings. The reverb is very good, and the tone controls have a good sweep for bass, mids, and treble. 100 solid state watts is plenty of juice for what I do!

Using one of my "normal" tube amps, I generally never push them into overdrive anyway, I get all my overdrive/distortion and effects from one of my pedal boards. And I guess I should tell you what my "normal" tube stage amps are. I have two Visual Sound Workhorse amps that VS made years ago. I used to have a lot of problems with them blowing up on me but a techie friend of mine has gone through them, swapped out parts and done stuff way over my head, and now they both sound very good and are quite stable. Visual Sound doesn't make them anymore. Heck Visual Sound isn't the company's name anymore either, I think they are now called Truetone.

17. Infant

Infant Active Member

I think VS only makes stomp boxes these days. I don't believe I've ever seen one of their amps up here in Kanuckistan. I'm happy with my Katana but I just had my SFDR Deluxe Reverb overhauled over Christmas and I want to bring her out to my next gig in February. She's sounding very sweet!!!

18. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Yup, all they make now are effects. Oh well, I guess their amps were just a market move that didn't quite pan out. I think that most players look to tube amps for that glorious bloom they make when you push them too hard. The Workhorse amps were designed more along Leo Fender's original philosophy, that amps should have a lot of headroom and stay clean as far into their range as they can. When Visual Sound first released these, they came with an included Jekyll & Hyde pedal, so you could easily get overdriven (and full distortion) tones if that was your game. They also put a 9 volt output jack on the faceplate to drive your effects. They were kind of a revolutionary amp, but evidently the market didn't jump on board.

A friend of mine in Pennsylvania bought one, and raved about it to the point that I purchased one to see if it was all that. Then later on, he realized he was not a stompbox guy and went back to playing his old Fender amps. So I bought his Workhorse and that's how I got two of them. Over time I did encounter some problems with the units, since they had a tendency to blow out some capacitors and resistors. I sent the amps back to VS a couple of times for repair (at their cost), and had extensive talks with the guy who designed the amps, and each time they were very responsive to my needs and returned the amps promptly. And then about a year ago, a techno amp guy who goes to my church got the schematic for Workhorse, and went through them. He replaced a bunch of caps and resistors with parts that had higher values, and since then I have not been able to fry anything in there. I'm even getting fairly confident that they are gonna do what I expect them to do when I turn them on!

That crazy looking hubcap covering the speaker is an incredible little invention all by itself. It actually spreads the speaker's sound out evenly so you can stand anywhere in front of the amp and it sounds the same. These two also have very low serial numbers, 022 and 047. I used to have No. 003, but they exchanged that one for No. 22 during one of the repairs.

So yeah, I've got a matched pair of amps that no one has ever heard of, but they sound pretty good!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Infant likes this.
  19. Solid state analogue, certainly. Digital, not so much.
    I had a Laney Session 40 in the '80s that I wish I still had. I knew a couple of guys who toured Fender Showmans - a 200 watt 2x12 SS combo - during the '80s and the Roland JC120... 'nuff said.
    They don't take abuse like a valve, though.
    Digital... you send a voltage/current in, it get's turned into 1s and 0s and then a cpu picks a sound from a table. You try putting a Tubescreamer in front of one... better still, don't. That's a bell you can never unring. Digital modelling is good for the sound engineer and listener, not so much for the player.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'anti-digital'. I haven't used an analogue effect in nearly 30 years. More than £100 for a pedal is daylight robbery, especially when I can replicate accurately the same sounds and effects with my 20+ year old rack. The difference is, the effects are not the dominant sound and don't need to react to what's done at the guitar. The amp is and does.