Anyone else not booking gigs?

Discussion in 'Les's Living Room' started by Biddlin, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

I don't rely on gig money these days, but a little extra was always nice to have at the end of the year and frankly I looked forward to seeing the folks I saw last year again and saying, "Happy Holidays." In years past, I have always had at least 5 holiday parties booked by November and usually picked up a couple more along the way. This year: bupkis! Even my New Years eve gig with a local construction company that I've played for many years is not happening, allegedly because the company doesn't want the liability, although no one has ever had a problem in the past 15 years.

2. Infant

Infant Active Member

We normally just try to play a gig per month if we can get one. Some of us still work and we like having our weekends off. We've been lucky in that we still play at a local legion when we are looking for work but we also play some private gigs. We played one in November and we are playing for the same people on New Years eve. Weve done these two functions for the last 8-10 years. We also picked up another last minute private gig for December 28.

So I would say we are still maintaining the status quo.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I'm doing the same as usual, but that is just playing at my church. No extra income there! But it is fun and rewarding to do.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Infant

Infant Active Member

I look at the fun side of things. Even if we weren't gigging, I'd like to get together and jam with the boys...just for the fun and musicianship. The thing with two of my bandmates is that they don't want to rehearse or get together unless there's a gig involved. The Legions don't really pay a lot. I told both of them that the good paying gigs are becoming few and far between and to look at Legion gigs as paid rehearsals. Otherwise, they can let their $3500 set of drums or expensive Selmer horns sit and collect dust in the basement.

Another thing is trying to downsize our equipment based on the gig. Our drummer has a huge kit (think Neil Pearl and cut that in half) we don't need 8 cymbals, a set of rototoms, chimes etc for a small gig. It takes him forever to set up and tear down. I may just ask them if they want to continue in the new year and depending on the answer, I may just continue as a smaller band as I still own the band name.

spellcaster and Biddlin like this.
  5. Infant

Infant Active Member

Biddlin,
    I believe the liability has to do with drinking and driving. Did they serve free booze at this NYE party? In my old band, we played a couple of Christmas parties for a local trucking company...300 people, free booze. The first year, it was a great party, no problems. the second year, we walked in the door and someone had puked outside the womens washroom right by the front door. It was a younger crowd too. We were supposed to play 9 till 1 but around midnight a fight broke out and people were throwing beer bottles across the room at each other. The company owner walked up to us and told us to shut it down, the party was over. The lights went on, the cops showed up and some people were taken away. We still got paid but it was the last Christmas party that company ever threw.
    We played many NYE parties where they did the same thing with free booze and the younger ones were the ones who got sh!t-faced and spoiled it for the rest of the people. When we started playing for the current people that we play for on NYE, I suggested lowering the price and charging for booze, but give each table a bottle of champagne at midnight for every 4-6 people. They sold out that year and every year since. They even made a bigger profit! I know all this because my BIL was the president of this club. There have been no problems with the people getting smashed. Many other places are catching on too...people will still drink but the driver will know when to stop while the rest of his/her group still enjoy themselves.

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Oh yeah, out here the law says that anyone who serves liquor, beer, or wine is legally liable for all who consume. So if anyone gets in a wreck on the way home, it is the poor bartender who gets sued and taken to court. It's not a good idea, it's just the law. That has pretty much put the squash on parties, gigs and all celebrations.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

A convenient excuse , especially since the party has been a tradition for at least 15 years with no problems during that time. The DUI industry has become megabig business. I keep floating the idea to local inn keepers that they should hire a few shuttle vans to give customers free rides on holidays and weekends.

Infant likes this.
  8. Infant

Infant Active Member

I like that idea

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

There are a lot of cab drivers around here that offer free rides, if you just call them!