Burstbuckers, potted unpotted, stock aftermarket

Discussion in 'Pickups, Pickups, Pickups' started by Gearbug, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Gearbug

Gearbug New Member

Hi, you guys sure must have experiences with both types of Burstbuckers, how do they compare?

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Well now I feel a little naive! I thought all the Burstbuckers were potted. I have a couple of sets and they both are.

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I don't have any excessive microphonic stuff from any of my humbuckers, including the Burstbuckers. I'm not sure I could tell the difference in tone between a potted or unpotted pickup, as I have certainly never tried any side by side. There certainly is a lot of time and effort spent on the internet over the tiniest matters.

I'm not trying to put down your topic, Gearbug! Maybe someone else here will have some more experience in this area.

5. johnreardon

Fully agree. When it gets to the extent that some person reckons he can tell which brand of battery is in his pedals, I almost fall over with laughter. Just play the blooming things

6. Infant

Infant Active Member

I suppose you're talking about Eric Johnson. [emoji16] I also had a good laugh when I read that.

First of all, even if he could tell the difference, there are tolerances on anything that is manufactured and they will vary from batch to batch, posibly even battery to battery. Secondly, in a band situation, with a bass player and drummer pounding away, are you really going to hear the subtle nuance that you believe is created by a specific brand of batteries? Give me a break!

To the OP, I apologize for going off topic here, but from past experience with cheap, unpotted covered pickups, I used to get feedback until I potted them. They were fine after that and I didn't notice any change in tone.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

7. johnreardon

Yes Rob. He is supposed to be fanatical about 'tone', yet he goes through so many pedals it's just a high pitched whine to me. Great technical skills, but his sound is IMO awful

8. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Another guy (who commands some phenomenal talent) that I cannot stand his tone, is John McLaughlin.

9. Hmm?
    When it comes to 'well known' pro players and their advice on 'tone', just bear this in mind - Lewis Hamilton drives his car, he doesn't BUILD or FIX it.

I wouldn't trust Eric Clapton, Joe Bonamassa or especially Eric Johnson to give my guitar a set up.
    What most of 'em ACTUALLY know about how guitars work wouldn't fill the back of a postage stamp, the exceptions being Brian May and Eddie Van Halen, perhaps.
    In terms of a potted versus unpotted pickup... it originally came about because some pickups were microphonic, simply because their windings were too loose, and became microphonic leading to unwanted feedback. It's probably not necessary to pot pickups, these days, since manufacturing methods are so much more consistent.
    In terms of hearing a difference, on an automated wound pickup, there probably isn't a difference, but on a "handwound" - actually manually guided to a winder, not strictly hand wound - pickup, it's thought that the difference is not the tone itself, but that 'bloom' - how a sustained note sort of morphs from an 'ow' to an 'ooh' sound. when sustaining, especially with vibrato.
    As far as depotting a pickup goes, it's almost impossible to totally achieve without destroying the pickup.