Can you identify this Gibson for me?

Discussion in 'Gibson Acoustic Forum' started by MKROB, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MKROB

MKROB New Member

I've had this for years, but I don't know exactly what model it is. I'm hoping the experts here can help me out. My best guess right now is that it was a J-50 but I can't be sure. If it ever had a label in the sound-hole it is long gone. It was in a useless state when I got it - the top was cracked and separated from the sides on the lower bout. It looked like it could be flipped open like the lid of a toy box. Everything is very stable now and it sounds great, i just wish I knew what it was.

I've been trying to narrowing it down based on some of the features (unfinished headstock and head/neck volute) and the parts (bridge, tuners, pickguard) but those may have been swapped out at some point. There are extra tuner mounting holes and these tuners have a little black paint on them. I haven't seen this particular bridge on any Gibson.

The serial # is 639739 which seems like it dates it as a 1970-1972 from what I can tell.

Any info is appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place.

About the guitar...have you tried contacting Gibson? They are usually good at helping out

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Welcome to Gibson-Talk! And yeah, send the pictures and the serial number to Gibson and they can tell you a lot about your guitar. Nice restoration, it's good to see a guitar return to playable condition.

4. MKROB

MKROB New Member

That's a good idea. I will check with them. Thanks, guys!

5. Infant

Infant Active Member

Welcome to Gibson Talk. Once you find out what it is, come back and let us know (for future reference)

6. ducakrugs

ducakrugs New Member

It looks like a Songwriter ' It has square shoulders so probably not J series..?

7. ducakrugs

ducakrugs New Member

Could be an old 70's J45 with the square shoulders ' maybe a delux model because the bridge is a slightly different shape to what I expect..Oh it is a puzzle

8. ducakrugs

ducakrugs New Member

9. Rico077

Rico077 New Member

Old thread likely dead. I just thought it was interesting when I came across..
    I 2nd the vote for Songwriter. It’s what came to mind as soon as I saw it too. FWIW to any new person looking here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie New Member

I have a 70's J-40 that looks like that but less fancy. I'm guessing J-50 or J-45.

11. rustystrings

rustystrings New Member

I think it’s a 70s J-50 with a replacement bridge - perhaps a Guild bridge? Gibson serial numbers in the early 70s are a challenge, but I’m thinking ‘73-75 with that pickguard and the volute. The bridges on those were often kinda thin and prone to splitting, so the replacement bridge is a good thing.