Collecting junk

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Biddlin, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

A few years ago, I noticed cheap Japanese guitars from the sixties were starting to be collected. I passed it off as an interesting quirk. I collect matchbook covers, no big difference. Today, I saw a Teisco Del Rey offered at $550 US. These guitars were the reason I became a tech. I spent at least as much time learning fretwork, wiring and neck resets on these crappy guitars as playing them. I'm not even a little nostalgic for my Crest Tele copy or the pale blue ES-335 clone.
    Do any of you guys collect these? Would you pay used Gibson money for one?
    Inquiring minds....:p

2. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

I have a "lot" of guitars, and yes, I have several Eastern copies. I buy individually, but I'd say I'm no real collector. As far as price range, my only current rule is nothing comes my way over $1400, and I've only done that twice, a Gibson and a Gretsch. I pay what my gut allows.

...wisdom

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I've got enough really good guitars, to the point where I'm not looking for more of them anymore. I still cruise around on Ebay, and Craigslist, but I don't do much more than looking. And I don't even look for those cheap Japanese axes. I do have a fondness for certain Ibanez guitars from their lawsuit and later era. They made some incredible instruments then, but the market has become wise to their value now, and it's very hard to find a deal on them anymore.

4. Henrytwang

Henrytwang New Member

Those old 60s Japanese guitars were freely available at car boot sales over here in the UK until a few years ago when the prices asked on EBay started to soar. They were pretty awful but the pickups had some quite interesting tones. In the past I've sold quite a few buying for peanuts and selling at on EBay at 500%+ markups. I still have a couple laying about for those slide guitar moments. It's a strange thing that many guitars once regarded as junk are now becoming collectable.

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Not me. I prefer to buy modern stuff these days, which as someone who played the old guitars in the 60s can affirm, is way better made.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

"...which as someone who played the old guitars in the 60s can affirm, is way better made."
    Amen!

7. Henrytwang

Henrytwang New Member

Although, as previously mentioned I've made money buying and selling those pretty terrible 60s Japanese guitars I'm inclined to agree that if it was junk then it's junk now. In the early 60s good American guitars were rare and expensive here in the UK and we had to make the best of what we could afford, my first good guitar was a Telecaster which I bought used in 1965.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Good golly miss molly! That is one ugly guitar!

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd New Member

i have wished much to find a tiesco like the one i started learning on in 1973, but i haven't seen one exactly like it for sale. but sentimentality or not, i won't pay $500 for it, MAYBE $200. but i can buy lots of fine items of equipment for $500, and some real fine stuff for $200, too.

i am actively trying to find an Aria PE 150 les paul special DC copy like the one i had, but the only way i'll pay even close to that much is if it's exactly like the one i had.

there were some decent tiescos. and there was 50 boxcar loads of junkers.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd New Member

over my past, oh, say ten years of looking at craigslist, for $550 i could have bought a DRRI, gibson sg standard, american standard teles and strats, american made fender basses of many discriptions. and i'm pretty sure there's a Twin reissue for 5 bills on c-list near me right now - or at least it was recently.

matter of fact, i bought an Sg standard last year for $600.

so for me, even the best tiesco is a waste of money at more than $200 - and even that's too much. for me.

12. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

There ya go. Gettin' the good stuff means never having to say you're sorry.

13. clemonsj61

clemonsj61 New Member

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd New Member

i think something may be missing here...

15. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

It's deep, really deep.

16. moparguy

moparguy New Member

What he said ^^^^^^. It is so worth it to wait and get a quality guitar. I got lucky and got mine at 0% intrest at Guitar Center.

17. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Ya mon! I started off with that philosophy. I had played acoustic guitar for about 7 years before I decided to go electric. I saved for quite awhile and then went out and bought a Les Paul and a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I've never regretted the decision.

18. Blakknus

Blakknus New Member

I owned crappy Japanese guitars from the 70s, in the 70s and 80s. I'd much rather buy good guitars from the 90s and upgrade them.

19. Srini

Srini New Member

As Stan said earlier, I have four great guitars now and I quite honestly think I have no GAS - collection or otherwise - but, hey, famous last words, right?

Srini

20. MickeyB

MickeyB New Member

Old Rubbish!

You have to hand it to the magazines and media for convincing some folk that everything that's old is wonderful and worth money. I started out with unplayable and unstable rubbish that seemed to have been made by someone who had once seen a picture of an American guitar. As has been said above, it's how I learned to service guitars in order to make them at all playable. Sure some were quirky and interesting as pieces of period art but as serious instruments, generally no!
    A genuine antique is something made of high quality that is still functional and attractive today but now some folk are asking silly money for horrible things that used to be sold in Woolworths! Well folk are entitled to do what they want with their money but honestly for price, quality and playability the current standard of Far Eastern manufacture is far superior if one wants a serious instrument.