Confession Time

Discussion in 'Les's Living Room' started by Old Tom, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Old Tom

Old Tom New Member

My friends, ths weighs heavily on my mind..I feel almost as if I am here
    under false pretenses. After 60 years of being a card carrying plank spanker,
    I must confess that I do not know how to play any of those scales-that have those greek sounding names...nor do I know what an "arpeggio" is.
    I may have played one or two and not known it.I did try to read music
    once, but it messed up my playing.....I'll go sit in the corner....

2. Tom,
    Neither does Clapton.
    Don't sweat it. I have a friend who was a guitarist in a band who had three UK No.1 albums in the 80s and a couple of Grammy nominations. He doesn't know the names of half the chords he plays.
    You'll find a lot of the 'non-widdly' guitar legends don't know much more than pentonic, major and minor scales.
    I seem to remember one Blues legend used to say, "I don't play chprds."

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Yeah, I believe that was B.B. King. No worries, Tom, just do what you feel. Knowing all that junk doesn't' necessarily make you a better player. Personally, I took to studying music theory because I don't have a good ear for melody and harmony. I probably should have been a drummer. But having a bit of knowledge of the why of it all has helped me a bit. If you've made it this far without it, you don't need it!

4. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Been playing since around the late 50s and I am relatively chord free. I'm a 'lead' guitarist, so others can play the chords :biggrin:

5. Yep, I believe it was Mr King :)
    When I posted my intro a couple of weeks back, with a picture of my Gretsch, I remember a certain gentlemen commenting it inspired him to "murder" a Chet Atkins tune... as far as I'm concerned, if you can play like Chet, you've got my ear. I wish I could play like that.