Direct drop lockers for ‘17 ES-339?

Discussion in 'ES-sential Hollowbodies' started by TSims1, Jan 23, 2018.

1. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

Hey y’all -

I recently got a brand new ‘17 ES-339 and am loving it. Gonna do the usual nut replacement(Tusq XL?)and wanna slap some locking tuners on there too.

Anyone know which locking tuners are a direct-drop for a late model 339? Thanks!

Oh yeah.........here’s a pic of my current fave guitar!

Attached Files:

2. Infant

Infant Active Member

Looks like you've got Grover Rotomatics on there right now. Just get a set of locking ones from Stew-Mac Item# 0877. (Sorry, link wouldn't post.)

3. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

Well hey.........that looks perfect! Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. Off to the Stewmac website I go.....!

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

That's a beautiful 339 you've got there!

5. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

Thanks! I honestly love it. It gives me everything I want tonally.......

6. Infant

Infant Active Member

Don't let your wife hear you saying that!

You: I saw a nice Les Paul/SG/Tele/Strat that I'm thinking of buying...

Wife: Why? I thought the one you have gave you all the sounds that you want!

Delete the post before she sees it! :biggrin:

7. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

such wisdom!!!!!!!!

8. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

Got the Grover locking Rotomatics in the mail last night. Popped em on this morning. Fit perfectly, no hassles. Fresh strings and a little setup. Guitar stays in tune FAR better now........I think the taller tuning post heights help alleviate some of that break angle......even the dreaded G seems to be staying in tune wonderfully.

I’m very pleased. :)

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Interesting, and I've always heard that increasing the break angle gives you more sustain, but that could be a myth too. Of course, increasing that angle would put more resistance in the nut slot, so if the slot isn't cut perfect and lubricated, you could have tuning problems.

10. TSims1

TSims1 New Member

I notice no difference in sustain whatsoever. I also know this topic has been talked about a lot, but I think that break angle coupled with nuts that come less than ideal(almost every Gibson guy I know immediately has nut work done if not a replacement)is a perfect storm for poor tuning.

I initially had 11s on this guitar to help stabilize it, and filed the nut slots properly. Still had tuning issues. I replaced the stock Grover’s with these locking Rotomatics AND dropped my string gauge down to 10s, and now it’s staying in tune like a champ.