Epiphone Lucille Bad Buzzing volume off

Discussion in 'ES-sential Hollowbodies' started by Jeepjones85, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Jeepjones85

Jeepjones85 New Member

Hello all ! I’m new to this forum, My wife ordered me a Epiphone Lucille I’ve wanted one for a long time and it is awesome.
    She ordered if from AMS and I’m having a major buzzing issue.
    It buzzes loud even with the volume turned off just sitting in the stand. I have another guitar I can plug in and it doesn’t buzz at all.

I have owned a ton of guitars over the years and never had this issue.
    Thanks

2. Jeepjones85

Jeepjones85 New Member

Oh yeah I took the back off and looked it over and didn’t really see anything out of place. I also took the jacks out this one has a stereo out put jack as well. I didn’t see anything wrong with either jack.

3. Infant

Infant Active Member

Welcome to Gibson Talk. First thing, have you tried a different cable and/or amp? Also, are there any light dimmers on the same circuit?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

4. Hiya, new here myself, welcome.
    Sounds to me like a bad earth/internal short. Obviously, check visually that everything looks as it should. Next look for any solder joints that don't look nice and shiny, especially the ones on the pot casings. Try and follow the earth wire back to the bridge and make sure it's not broken.
    Since you mention other guitars don't make this noise, I assume you have others there and you use the same cable, amp etc, then it's unlikely it's the cable, amp etc. My moeny's on a dry solder joint.
    Since, it's a new guitar, the easy ption (at least in the UK) would be to send it back for replacement - especially if it's one of those with the Vario-switch.
    'If it were me', assuming the guitar is otherwise perfect, I'd be tempted to forget the warranty and fix it myself, BUT if you're not confident with a soldering iron, sending it back is the best option.

5. Jeepjones85

Jeepjones85 New Member

Yes I actually called AMS and they gave me the option of getting my money back, or sending it in for another one and giving me a discount on mine to have it repaired, I haven’t really figured out what I want to do yet. I really like the guitar I might opt to have it repaired.

6. In that case, I'd go with the repair.
    Mass production consistency is superb, these days, but they're still made of wood - about as inconsistent a material as it gets.
    If that one 'speaks to you', keep it and get it fixed, rather than swapping for a replacement.

7. Renee57

Renee57 New Member

I recently got an ej200ce Epiphone. Was doing all kind of ugly things. I took it to a luthier and got a set up on it. Plays beautifully now. I did see the Lucille in our store. omg its beautiful. I almost bought one but that is one big guitar and I don't think I could handle it. lol What ever you do get it repaired or replaced. Have fun

8. kaicho8888

kaicho8888 Member

Sounds like a disconnected ground (60 Hz hum). Does it disappear if you touch the strings?

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

Go for the repair, but before you do, check for oxidation in either the selector switch, the pots, or the output jack. It might just need a little contact cleaner, particularly if it's buzzing this early in it's life.