es-335 or es-390

Discussion in 'ES-sential Hollowbodies' started by ast370, May 30, 2018.

1. ast370

ast370 New Member

well, I am at a crossroads of a sort. I need to pick one. I like everything about the 390 but the 335 can be a showstopper. The problem can be finding a 335 that checks off all the boxes because there is a ton of variables. I recently passed up a custom shop 335 with custombuckers for a comparable price to the 390 and I am kicking myself. Any opinions on the decision? anyselling either LOL.

Thanks
    Ast370

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place.

It's really only you that can make a decision about which guitar to get. How a guitar plays and sounds is down to your ears and fingers. :biggrin:

Having said that, if you gig in a band, then the 335 is going to be a 'better' guitar than the 390 as it won't feed back as much. Hollowbody guitars can be difficult to control on stage, but on the other hand, they do have a great sound.

For me it would be the 335.

3. Infant

Infant Active Member

I agree with John...semi hollows are best in a band setting. Feel also comes into play here as I like the sound of a 335 but always found the body to be bulky and uncomfortable to play. I prefer a 339.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

4. ast370

ast370 New Member

church player

i play mostly in church so the volumes aren't that loud. How easily do you get feedback from a hollowbody? I've test both styles but never experienced feedback.

5. johnreardon

It depends on how loud you play and also your stage environment. I can get feedback from my 335 and also a Trussart Steelcaster.

Completely hollowbodies feedback more than those with a centre block, but it really depends on volume and where you are standing.

6. Infant

Infant Active Member

I think you'd be fine in a church setting as I don't believe your volume will be "over the top" loud. I saw Delta blues legend Mel Brown playing an ES137 onstage with BB King and his band many years ago. They were pretty loud but that may have just been the FOH speakers. Their stage volume may have been fairly low. It's really hard to say when it'll start to feedback.

7. johnreardon

137s have centre blocks Rob. I used to have one and it wasn't too bad. Probably fed back slightly more than my 335, but was easily controlled.

I have a Guild Starfire III which is a slim body fully hollow guitar. It is completely unusable in places with small stage areas where I am close to my amp. Bigger places it's not too bad.

But as you say he should be fine in a church setting.

8. Infant

Infant Active Member

Sorry John, my auto correct changed it on me....he was playing an ES 175. I know 137s have center blocks....I own one!!

9. johnreardon

They feed back quite a bit with the extra depth. Always wanted one, but completely impractical for me

10. Infant

Infant Active Member

But apparently, his didn't. (Unless he stuffed it with rags or paper)

11. johnreardon

I did that with my Guild back in the 60s. From what I remember I used cotton wool. It seemed to be slightly better

12. ast370

ast370 New Member

anyone have any idea what pickups would be on a Dot reissue from 20 years ago?

Thanks,
    Ast370

13. johnreardon

Mine from 2000 has 57 Classics, however it was a limited edition. If in doubt always ask those who made the guitar. Gibson & Fender have always replied to my questions. They will need to see pics including the serial no.

14. ast370

ast370 New Member

i will call on monday. i just get antsy for info... I watched some videos for the 1998 model and they seem great.

15. ast370

ast370 New Member

well it has 57 classics. now I have to decide if i want to buy it or upgrade to a 345? guess i need to rename the thread...

16. Infant

Infant Active Member

Sounds like someone has a bad case of G.A.S.! [emoji41][emoji106]

17. ast370

ast370 New Member

my birthday was in may and i got permission to buy... now i have to decide. is the vari-tone worth the extra money??? i do like some of the tones for sure but those guitars aren't cheap.

18. Infant

Infant Active Member

I have the varitone on my ES137 Custom. I never use it. I just leave it in the 1st (bypass) position. I find that anything past the 3rd position is basically unusable as the sound gets thinner and thinner with each step. Personally, I don't feel it's worth it.

19. johnreardon

Just because a guitar is more expensive, it doesn't mean it's an 'upgrade'. The 'best' guitar is the one that plays and sounds best in your hands, regardless of manufacturer of where it was made.

If it was me I would give the 57 Classics a chance and like Rob, I would forget about the varitone.

20. ast370

ast370 New Member

its good to hear some opinions on the varitone... i've only messed with one for a short time at a store once. The videos that highlight it seem to show that it sounds better clean than with overdrive. I usually play with some OD on for blues to classic rock levels. I like 57 classics, i have them in a Les Paul trad.