Evh 5150 III el34 50 watt tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Town' started by Frostyn123, May 30, 2018.

1. Frostyn123

Frostyn123 New Member

Hello, my new amp is due for a tube change and I was just wondering which brand of el34's I should get. So I guess what I'm wondering is what are some good alternatives to el34's that are compatible with this amp and which brands should I look for and avoid? Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

2. Infant

Infant Active Member

Hi Frosty and sorry for the late reply. I take it that this is the Fender built version of Eddies amp? (If I recall, the Peavey version used 6L6 tubes). I really can't offer any advice as all my amps are either 6L6 or 6V6 powered. There is a place here in town that sells tubes worldwide. They may be able to give you some insight and help on their website. Personally, I've never been able to discern the differences between the manufacturers and the way they were built. I just wanted a reliable tube that would perform well. I've always been happy with their suggestions.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-Amp/EVH-Amps

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL34-6CA7-Tube-Types

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

3. Frostyn123

Frostyn123 New Member

Hello Infant, thank you for your reply! This is the evh brand version, it is then newest 5150 model to date. I just ordered Svetlana tubes for it which are coming in today. My only concern is that I'm not sure if the tubes were the problem. Right in the middle of playing the amp shut down, when I checked the fuse it was blown. Threw another fuse in and that on almost immediately blew too. Any ideas? Is this the tubes or is this something I should be worried about? Thanks!

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

4. Infant

Infant Active Member

That sounds like something that a tech needs to look at. You don't want to put new expensive tubes into an amp that may end up shorting them out bring the tubes and the amp to a tech. He'll check your old tubes to see if they are bad. If they are good, he'll reuse them or install the new ones and rebias once he finds the actual problem.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk