Gibson Lucille questions

Discussion in 'ES-sential Hollowbodies' started by Stringfellow93, May 17, 2013.

1. Stringfellow93

Stringfellow93 New Member

I just got this guitar in a trade yesterday, and I'm in love with it. I just have one question. The guitar has a stero and a mono input jacks. For some reason i have to change inputs depending on which pickup I want to use. I can select the other pickup but it is very faint to hear. Is this normal? If so it's kind of annoying I'm a les paul guy.

Attached Files:

2. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

Pickup "faint" is very annoying. I have a semi with the same problem that cannot be deduced! If you figure it out, please post. Lucille cats will be able to help...I can only comment.

...wisdom

3. Stringfellow93

As of right now if I want to change pickups I have to select the one (with the knob of course) and change the input jack on my guitar.

4. Papa Dave

Papa Dave New Member

I have a 345 with the same situation. I thought one of the jacks was suppose to work both pickups mono, but the only way I can use both pickups in the normal fashion is to use a Y-jack into the guitar.

5. Wally

Wally Banned

That Lucille should work the same way a Les Paul does with a mono cable in the mono jack.
    IF you run in the stereo jack with a mono cable, you will only get one pickup.
    This is the neck pickup on my '66 ES-345, which only has a stereo jack. (I've been dealing with a stereo Gibson since I bought this 345 new in '67.)
    Ime, if you are using a mono cable in the mono jack and you are not getting both pickups as 'normal' with Gibson wiring, there is something else wrong.
    When using the stereo jack, one obviously has to have either a stereo cable with a stereo plug going into the jack and two monos at the other end...or as with my single jack 345....a stereo plug at the guitar with a mono plug wired with both pickup leads going to the tip of that mono plug for the 'amp' end of the cable.

6. Stringfellow93

I haven't had time to look in the back panel yet, later when I get home I'll open It up and see if anything looks funny. I'll post some pics too.

7. Stringfellow93

Picks inside the control cavity

So I opened up the control cavity last night and I didn't see anything that looked strange to me. Let me know what you guys think. I'm starting to think that maybe this is the way the guitar is supposed to be made.

Attached Files:

8. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

Those wires are the "wrapping" around my brain when I try to figure out electronics. I do better with fishing tackle!

...wisdom

9. Wally

Wally Banned

stringfellow, take a look at those two output jacks. Is one of them a stereo jack,
    with tip/ring/sleeve connections, while the other one is a mono tip/sleeve jack?
    IF I had the guitar in front of me, I would be able to trace out what goes where; but ime you should be able to run a mono cable out of one of those jacks and have both pickups available and swtichable at the 3-way toggle switch.
    IF for some strange reason there are two mono---tip/sleeve---jacks, then one would have to run a mono cable out of each jack in order to access both pickups. I can's see Gibson doing this, and this is not the way the Lucilles and B.B. King Gibsons that I have worked on work operate.

10. Stringfellow93

It seems like to me each input is for each pickup, I can plug in the one jack and use the bridge pickup fine but then when I select the neck pickup while still plugged into the same jack the neck pickup would be barely heard, Even with the amp turned all the way up.

11. Wally

Wally Banned

String, that sounds like a stereo jack there. In my ES-345 when I use a mono cable, I can only get the neck pick-up.
    Did you take a look inside that cavity to ascertain what output jacks are being used there? A stereo jack has two contact tabs. IN yours pics above, itis impossible to see what those jacks are doing. I think I see a shorting jack on the right. Can you get a picture of those two jacks from a lower angle. There may be too much wood above the jacks to give us the perspective that we need.
    Again, I have worked on Lucilles and B.B. King models....and none of them had two mono jacks. I keep a stereo cable on the wall....and two identical amps into which to run those two pickups. I still have the ES-345TDC that I bought when I was 16 those many years ago...washing and greasing cars.....I paid $40 a week for 10 weeks in 1967. Figrue that out in today's money....

12. Stringfellow93

I'll do my best to get a photo of the input jacks later this evening. I don't know much at all about electronics on a guitar so this is all greek to me.

13. Wally

Wally Banned

Strignfellow, while the cavity is open; study those jacks. For get about it being 'greek' to you.....if you wanted to, you could start learning Greek, so you can start understanding basics of these jacks, right? How many bent spring steel contacts are there on each jack? IS that a shorting tab that I see contacting the tip contact in that one picture?
    IF that is a shorting tab on a stereo jack, then I could see how perhaps that shorting tab would send one pickup's lead on to the mono circuit when the stereo jack is not being used. (A shorting tab will make contact with a 'lead' contact until a plug is inserted into the jack. With a plug in the jack, the spring steel 'lead' tab will be pushed away from the shorting jack and that contact will be broken.)IF this is how Gibson accomplished this two-jack circuit, then I would suspect that there is a problem in that part of the circuit...possibly. Did you buy the guitar new? Even if you didn't, it could still be that the guitar was miswired at the factory...yes, it happens.
    IF you see a mono jack with one bent tab contact and a stereo jack with two bent contacts, then you can know which jack is intended for what purpose. Plug into the mono....is only one pickup available..with both volumes turned up? IF so, then there is a problem.
    AS I noted, without a stereo cable, one cannot know if the stereo jack is working properly or not....unless......when you plug all of the way in, you will have one pickup. IF you pull the plug about a 3/16-1/4" out, that pickup will go silent and the other pickup will come on. IF this happens, then you know that both pickups are functioning and the wiring to that jack is correct. IF the stereo jack works but the mono jack doesn't, one then can ascertain how the wiring has failed to put both pickups leads on the mono circuit.

14. Stringfellow93

I recently got the guitar in a trade, The guy I got it from was the original owner. (purchased in 97). I do remember him telling me that he had to use each input for each pickup and he didn't really understand why. I will be able to investigate further in about an hour so I'll have more pics and details up here soon.

15. jld4133

jld4133 New Member

I have a recent ES-345 which has the same dual jack system. If you use the one closer to the bottom strap button, you should be able to use a mono cord, and use either or both pick-ups in mono. One should not be signifcantly more faint than the other. If this is not the case, I woudl have it checked by a competent luthier, because someone may have messed with it. People sometimes try to eliminate the vari-tone from the circuit, and someone who doesn't know what he is doing could easily screw it up.

16. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Why don't you get back to fleecing people of their money and leave us alone?

17. anfontan

anfontan New Member

Maybe its already been stated, but could it be something as simple as a cold connection to the output jack, or worn out pots in the circuit?
    That Lucille has very easy access to the electronics compared to my Sheraton-re-solder the conections, especilly the grounds, use contact cleaner on the pots or replace the pots.

18. MichaelNC09

MichaelNC09 New Member

Lucille Output Jack - Pickup Selection

I just got a 1997 Lucille, and noticed the same thing. Using a Mono Cable in the output closest to the strap is suppose to allow pickup selection for the Neck/Both/Bridge pickups... but mine just gives me the Neck Pickup. When I plug the mono jack into the other Output jack, I get the Bridge Pickup.

My Lucille appears to be untouched and original setup?

Did you find a solution to this question?
    Thanks
    Mike

19. MichaelNC09

MichaelNC09 New Member

With the help of this thread I found the issue... I took the cover off and pressed the stereo output jack contact blade (away from strap) and it made static and started playing... I cleaned it and now it's working! Thx!

20. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

I had a different stereo guitar a while back that had a similar problem. I just went over to our local electronics store (probably Radio Shack) and got a "Y" connector, probably just like Papa mentioned earlier. I'm sure GC or someone like them would be able to help you out. Maybe take the guitar along for a test run. Good Luck !!!