Gibson V bass

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RickP, Oct 23, 2018.

1. RickP

RickP New Member

Hi - good to join up! Bought my first Gibson, a 1971 SG200 on leaving school in 1974 and still play it, although I play mainly bass now. Just acquired a 1987 Gibson V five string bass - can anyone tell me if there is a truss rod tool available, or failing this, what size the nut is - it needs a spanner not an Allen key.
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Hiya,
    Welcome. Gibson usually supplies the necessary tool for the job, however, 'if I were you', I'd take the instrument down to your nearest car accessories store and ask if they sell a box spanner that fits.
    I don't know the size, but it'll be 'imperial' not metric. Failing that, places like Srewmac or Allparts (on the interweb) should have the right tool... you might find the car spares place tool is exactly the same, but a fair bit cheaper than a guitar parts seller.

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I'm not much help on this one. I have 5 or 6 of those tools that I have acquired over the years so I can usually find one that fits whatever I'm working on, but I cannot quote you a size for a specific guitar.