How to improve

Discussion in 'Mods and Tech Talk' started by Roger Owens, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Roger Owens

Roger Owens New Member

Hello, I've been playing for about a year, I have a Les Paul Custom Pro and a Ej200sce acoustic. I'm a beginner, more toward advanced, but I can't afford guitar lessons, I know chords, tab but I was wondering what would be the best workbook out there that would teach me most of the things needed for learning rhythm some soloing and the stuff in between. More or less a really good guitar workbook that's had the stuff I need to know. Thank you for your help

2. Infant

Infant Active Member

Hi Roger and welcome to Gibson Talk. Hopefully someone might be able to help you as I haven't had a lesson in 45 years. I picked up rhythm and strumming on my own by playing along with the records back then.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

Welcome to Gibson-Talk, Roger!
    Like Rob, I am pretty much self taught and I don't think I ever took a real lesson on guitar.
    In this day and age, the internet is quite full of resources to learn from. You could try www.justinguitar.com for one, but there are literally thousands available. And YouTube is overflowing with videos of techniques, lessons in various styles and genres. I have a few books at home that I will pull out and post here when I get home.

Infant likes this.
  4. I'm another of the 'I remember when all we had was..." brigade.
    I started in the early '80s, before even tab had been invented, let alone CDs, video tutors, internet, youtube...
    In my opinion, getting a book is THE second best way to learn, if you can't afford lessons - it's how I did it.
    There used to be a book called the Guitar Handbook, which pretty much outlined all the theory and a load of other stuff. Listen to and try to learn to play a lot of different music, not just your favourite band. You'll start to notice that everyone follows established patterns.
    My personal opinion, you'll learn better, by avoiding anything visual - youtube, video tutors etc. It'll be slower, but you'll learn to listen at the same time - Youtube is overflowing with guitarists who can't hear that they're out of tune.
    Also, form/join a band. Playing with other/better musicians is....
    I always say, 'Playing an instrument is like sex. You can'r get good at it by yourself... and you haven't lived until you've played in a band in front of an audience...'