I love my SGs!

Discussion in 'Other Gibson Solid Bodies' started by OldWood1916, Mar 27, 2017.

1. OldWood1916

OldWood1916 New Member

20170208_201855.jpg
    20160810_210222.jpg
    [​IMG]

I recently purchased the 61' Reissue for $799... and I freakin love it! It is a 1997.

I'm new to this place and figured I would drop in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

arcticsg likes this.
  2. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR New Member

Welcome, nice SG's! Here are mine

[​IMG]

'11 Ibanez SR 500
    '15 Fender American Standard Strat
    '16 Gibson SG Faded T
    '16 Squier Classic Vibe Tele ~ BB
    '17 Gibson Les Paul Tribute HP
    '17 Gibson SG Special T
    '16 Squier Classic Vibe Tele ~ VB

arcticsg likes this.
  3. Infant

Infant Active Member

Very nice!! Welcome to Gibson Talk. Can you explain your username?? It's a cool "handle"

4. OldWood1916

OldWood1916 New Member

I'm a collector of WW1-WW2 firearms, on the weekends. Lol

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place. Nice guitars.

I only have one

[​IMG]

It's one of the Gibson SG Custom Shop Robby Krieger Aged & Signed. Only made 50 and mine is number 33 made in 2010

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

I've only got one SG also...

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  7. Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave New Member

I'm an SG man, through & through. I have two 2004 SG standards and a '65 SG Junior

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  8. OldWood1916

OldWood1916 New Member

Beautiful 65!!!

9. Screaming Dave

Yeah. She's in nice condition. I got the original case, too. My gorgeous understanding wife bought it for my 50th birthday. It's the same age as me!

10. SAguitar

Wow, that baby has not been played much in its long life span!

11. Screaming Dave

No, it's in excellent nick, and not very faded, either. It has a bit of a nasty ding on the edge next to the controls, and a weird shallow gouge on the back of the neck, high up close-ish to the fingerboard on the low E side, but nothing that'll make it unplayable. I just wish I knew its history. I bought it from a dealer and they knew nothing really.

12. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

I've got a few I'm right fond of.....

Attached Files:

arcticsg likes this.
  13. SAguitar

Hah! Biddlin, I knew you'd be showing' up one of these days to chime in on some SG love!

14. throwback

throwback New Member

What's not to love? Lol. I almost bought one instead of my Les Paul and an SG will be my next... Some day. Beautiful guitars everybody.:cool:

15. MP5k

MP5k New Member

Nice SG's OldWood. You stole that 61 Reissue for that price. Nice score.
    You have a great amp there too. I think we have some things in common. I too LOVE, LOVE my 61 SG. Mine is a 2009 and I swear it feels like a custom shop guitar. I'm also a C&R firearms enthusiast like you. I still have an all USGI Garand that I bought from the CMP years ago in excellent condition you would probably dig. My username kind of gives me away as a gun guy. Here's my SG and my Orange head. It looks like we are after the same sort of tone. The OR15 sounds great with that cabinet running two Celestion V30s.
    [​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  16. OldWood1916

OldWood1916 New Member

I think we would get along just fine man! Something about guns and guitars. Lol I've been trying to find a Garand for years at the right price. No such luck yet! Nice Orange man. I scored my AD30 for.......... $650

17. Screaming Dave

Wow! That's a nice looking guitar

18. SAguitar

I have spent three nights this week with my SG, but didn't play it much. I've been reshaping the neck. I've never played it as much as I should because I just haven't fallen in love with its '59 shape, kinda round and large. Well, after three nights of filing away on the backside, it has slowly taken on a more slender profile. I didn't take it down to the so-called '60s size but it is somewhere between the two. I've been wanting to try this for years, but finally got around to it. I just took it a little at time, and then last night when it was feeling pretty comfortable, it got the sandpaper treatment and then I re-stained it to more or less match the rest of the body. I'm gonna really wring it out for the next few weeks and see if we can establish a real connection.

19. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I currently do not own an SG. I have owned at least 10 or more over the years, they are my favorite guitars. I sold my last one, which was a 2010 Faded, which I added pickup covers and a 498T in the bridge. Great guitar. I bought a VOX SDC55 which is a great guitar, but I still miss the SG. I will buy another soon, probably a standard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  20. SAguitar

Well I have spent several evenings flailing away on the slightly reshaped neck on my Faded SG and I'm really starting to like it. It is already much comfortable to me that it ever was before. I'm not saying I won't take the file to it again sometime in the future and reduce it some more, but for now I'm a happy SG player!