ID these amazing axes please!

Discussion in 'Other Gibson Solid Bodies' started by linusb73, Nov 22, 2016.

1. linusb73

linusb73 New Member

Hello folks! I know this is the perfect place to get answers. Can one of you experts give me an idea what these tone monsters are?

Attached Files:

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Well, from here they look like Les Paul L6-S axes, 3 of them, from around 1974 or so.

3. Infant

Infant Active Member

I almost bought one in '75 cuz Carlos played one. Then I crossed the room to the Fender guitars and fell in love with the sparkle of a Tele. But I've always had a yearning for an L6S

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

Very Paul Stanley!

...wisdom

5. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I fancied one of those, for a while. But I've kinda yearned for most guitars at one time or another!

6. qblue

qblue New Member

I have a L6-S, from 1980, the last year they were produced. It is a reduction in size and cost, loosely related to the L5-S solidbody guitar, a model used by John McLaughlin, Pat Martino, Paul Simon, and Mark Farner( that's right of Grand Funk Railroad ).

The L5-S was short-lived representing a solid version of a L5 archtop acoustic revered by big band players. This was followed by the electric archtop version, the L5-CES, which was used by Wes Montgomery.

The L6-S was briefly played by Carlos Santana in the 70's, who gave up the SG, and then the Les Paul, when he did dreamy jazz, and called himself Devadip. He later gave it up for a Yamaha SG, and followed by PRS. I think Paul Stanley destroyed them at the end of the Kiss shows, and AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young modified one for rhythm guitar playing.

They had 'SuperHumbuckers ' invented by Bill Lawrence and a chickenhead 6 way switch for in and out of phase operation, series and parallel operation and singly, similar to a Baja Tele in output, but with 'buckers, super humbuckers no less. It was a low budget guitar but sounded good. It was my first electric guitar. It has 24 frets, for a two octave range. One volume, two tone controls are supplied, one modifies treble roll off and the other for midrange adjustment. Mine has a Silverburst finish.

7. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

A testimonial, dear friends! Thanks for all the background on your guitar and its family. I had forgotten a lot of those great details.

8. MikeyH

MikeyH New Member

qblue:
    As I've noted elsewhere here, I'm pretty sure his grand finale involved Marauders, not L5 or L6-s's:

Attached Files:

9. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I think Paul used to use the Marauder at the end of shows so he could smash it.

10. MikeyH

MikeyH New Member

Yup. Pretty sure his signature is visible on the natural finished alder body of the Marauder in the photo which he would toss into the crowd after trying to play it briefly at the end of the show. That way the "lucky" recipient would have a souvenir, and hopefully not be too badly injured by the flying shards.