Identify pickup

Discussion in 'Les Paul Discussion Page' started by Pickuphelp, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Pickuphelp

Pickuphelp New Member

Hi friends..new to the forum with a question. I have a 40s Gretsch that was modified sometime?? And someone added a humbucker. I took a look tonight and am unable to identify anything about it. Does anyone know what model this is ?
    Thanks. This guitar is a serious modded Frankenstein by previous owner. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

It looks to me like a Gibson Patent No. pickup, probably from the late 1970s. It is likely that the Pat. No. on there is 2,737,842, which actually is the one issued for Les Paul's trapeze tailpiece. That's a very interesting mounting system that was added to the pickup!

3. speedy454

speedy454 Member

These pickups are most likely Gibson pickups from a time spanning the late 70's through the 80's. They have short alnico V magnets, equal turns on each coil and should ohm out at 7.4 to 7.6K ohms. They are virtually the same as the T tops that they replaced, except different wire was used. I have a pair of these in my bone stock 1985 Gibson SG Standard. Gold hardware pole screws would indicate they were from a LP Custom or something along those lines with gold hardware.
    Lack of ink stamped date kind of rules out them as Tim Shaws, but with the base plate mods it is possible that the ink date stamp was removed. Shaws are fairly desirable. They were Gibson's first real attempt at re creating the PAF pickup.