Just got asked to join another band...

Discussion in 'Les's Living Room' started by Infant, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Infant

Infant Active Member

A friend of mine texted me earlier tonight and asked me if I'd be interested in joining a band with her. She, like me, already plays guitar and sings in another band and although her band is much busier than us, she wants to help out this drummer friend of hers. I'm willing to give it a try as they want to play classic rock from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I'm good with that. Their previous guitar player only wanted to play 50s tunes.

I'm just a little nervous going out to play with people I don't know. Every band I've played in since high school has had one common denominator...my sax player whom I've known since grade 1 (6 yrs of age). Gonna feel strange without him. The friend that asked me to join her is actually not a very close friend. She's an old high school friend of my sister and after I saw her band a few years ago, we kept in touch and have chatted a few times about music and our bands. However, it's not gonna be like having my best friend with me. I'm meeting with her and the drummer tomorrow over coffee and comparing songlists.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Give it a go Rob. Playing with strangers is a great challenge.

Good luck

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Yeah, let the rocks roll on! The worst that can happen is not too bad, and the best is pretty incredible.

4. Billy C

Billy C New Member

Best of luck with the group for you Rob. They say change is good for a person, I would give it a shot..................

5. Infant

Infant Active Member

Well, I sat down and spoke with the leader. Seems to be a decent guy. He's looking for a bass player too so I told him about my bass player and he was thrilled. I showed him a songlist from my current band and he loved it as it was the type of music he wants to play. By bringing my bass player in, we've got about 40 songs we can do straight away. I asked if he needed a keyboard player too because that would open up another 10-15 songs and reduce the number of rehearsals before the November 26th gig he has booked. However, he's got someone in mind so we'll have to see how that goes.

After our meeting, I went home and started thinking about what was discussed and it sounded like he wanted to play more than a couple of Saturdays a month. So I called him back the next day to confirm this as I know me and my bass player don't want to get back into full time playing as we are still working stiffs and would enjoy some weekends off. He said that he was okay with that. So the first rehearsal is Wednesday. Well have to see how that works out.

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Hah! Sounds like it might work out pretty well. Just take it easy and see how it goes. And of course report back here with updates!

7. Infant

Infant Active Member

First rehearsal last night...got thru about 20 songs. Sounded pretty good but needs some tightening up. The keyboard player is awesome. We've got a gig on the 25th and we need at least another 20 songs...gonna be tough when we can only rehearse once a week!!!

8. johnreardon

Sounds great Rob. Why not lengthen some of the songs? We usually do about around 20 songs for two sets of 45 mins each. Just add some more solos. :biggrin:

9. Infant

Infant Active Member

That's fine if you are doing blues type of stuff. In our case we're doing some classic rock and although we can do a solo for an extra verse, we can't overdo it. We find that maybe 12 or 13 songs will do 45-50 minutes. Some of those songs from the 60s were only a little over 2 minutes long for radio play.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

10. johnreardon

We never cover songs whether Blues, Classic Rock or any genre like the record. We always do it our own way, whether adding solos or repeating verses/choruses.

Still, good luck

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Really, stretch them out! 60s songs were short to get more of them on the air, and more commercials in between them. If you want people to dance, it's gonna take them a bit to decide to and then get up and get to the dance floor. By then, 2 minutes is gone! We never played them that short.

12. johnreardon

That's what we think. If people are dancing they get more verses or instrumental breaks. Worst thing to do is stop just when they are enjoying themselves. Luckily with us we have 4 soloists (Keys, sax and two guitars) do it's not as boring as yet another guitar solo.

13. Infant

Infant Active Member

With my other band, we've got 4 soloists too (2horns, keys and guitar). Here its just me and the keyboard player. No problem in taking another a 2 verse solo but I don't think there should be 4 verses of solos in a 3 verse song! ;)

14. johnreardon

Think jazz Rob :biggrin:

15. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Drum solo........ :)

16. Infant

Infant Active Member

Funny you should say that. The leader is the drummer and one of the clips on the band website is a drum solo!

17. Infant

Infant Active Member

Leaving for rehearsal#2 in half an hour. We've got 23 songs lined up for tonight.

18. johnreardon

:biggrin:

Too late but I trust you had a good one.

19. Infant

Infant Active Member

Well we got through another 20 songs last night. We just have to tie up the loose ends next week (intros and outros) and gig next Saturday. Another gig next month and then two in January...all Legion gigs. These guys must like playing the Legions...cheap food and cheap beer!

20. anfontan

anfontan New Member

Well, I sat down and spoke with the leader. Seems to be a decent guy. He's looking for a bass player too so I told him about my bass player and he was thrilled. I showed him a songlist from my current band and he loved it as it was the type of music he wants to play. By bringing my bass player in, we've got about 40 songs we can do straight away. I asked if he needed a keyboard player too because that would open up another 10-15 songs and reduce the number of rehearsals before the November 26th gig he has booked. However, he's got someone in mind so we'll have to see how that goes.

After our meeting, I went home and started thinking about what was discussed and it sounded like he wanted to play more than a couple of Saturdays a month. So I called him back the next day to confirm this as I know me and my bass player don't want to get back into full time playing as we are still working stiffs and would enjoy some weekends off. He said that he was okay with that. So the first rehearsal is Wednesday. Well have to see how that works out.

I am happy that the band will will let you work on the part time and not work you out.
    I am lucky to in the same band from 1999 till the present-soon to be 2018-with the same 4 members!