Keeping Overdrive Alive!

Discussion in 'Effects & Stompboxes' started by SAguitar, Jun 21, 2018.

1. The really useful thing about the rack is that it's not running a 'mega watt' power amp - just 20w a side - so it's good for any level of gig.
    Since the 'emulating vintage effects' craze took off a few years back, I've really got elbow deep in what the effects boxes are capable of. I just used basic delays and pitch shifting for a long time, but... the level of detail... I'd written some delay patches for my Dad for a Zoom G3 a few years back, proper detailed multitaps - eqs, distortions, four or five delay modules etc - to get authentic vintage tape delay sound. Did all the initial work on my DAW of all places, by just recording a DI 'sample' of a typical piece,breaking down what a vintage tape echo unit is - pre-amp/heads/tape - then replicating each one with basic plugins, stage by stage. Once I was happy with the results, it was just a case of 'translating' the numbers to fit his fx unit.
    For a laugh, I tried setting one of the patches on my own fx units... mincblowing! The only thing I can't recreate is the motor noise.
    Anyway, that approach to those patches, sound engineer/scientist rather than a guitarists approach... that applies to all emulation effects.

It's more convenient to have it all in one box on stage, but when you're scratching your head for a sound away from the stage - home studio for example - put an EQ pedal and basic distortion/overdrive pedal together and twist the knobs a while.

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree. Keep it simple when you can. At home, I usually use 3 pedals (compressor, OD, and reverb) and then into a little Epiphone Valve Junior (which I judiciously modded). That's all I need to rehearse and entertain myself.

3. Yeah.... what I meant though,,, when you have a couple of hours, try an EQ pedal and a distortion pedal together and experiment. Either way round, mess with the EQ settings. If you haven't tried it before, it'll be enlightening.

4. SAguitar

Gotcha. OK, I've never just whittled it down to those two and experimented, so I'll do that!

5. SAguitar

OK, I have experimented in that combination now! Thanks, it was very illuminating.