Marshall DSL20HR noise

Discussion in 'Amp Town' started by ALLsteven, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Ok guys/girls, I bought a Marshall DSL20 head last week and ahen it was delivered I noticed when turned on but not playing there is a noise in the background. Almost like wind blowing into a microphone. It’s not crazy loud but loud enough. I also noticed it had horrible feed back issues. So I tried new tubes just to try it. No luck, same issues. So I sent it back. The new one arrived today, no crazy feedback issues but still has the wind blowing noise. Is this normal for these Marshall’s? It’s hard to imagine I would’ve gotten two amps with the same problem? I’m going to call them but right now I’m getting no answer. Probably due to time zones. My peavey Classic 20 doesn’t do this. Nor does my Marshall code. So I don’t believe it’s a ground issue or wiring issue in the house. The house is also only two years old.

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Should I exchange it for a second time?? Thanks in advance!

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Well, I gotta ask, is the offending amp in the near vicinity of a computer monitor, or florescent lights, or any lights on dimmer switches? Those things often introduce noise into these situations. If not, then maybe your got a bad one, or maybe it is a problem with this model. Oh, and does this noise diminish if you turn the reverb control down?
    I have not played through one of those so I am not familiar with them. The DSL20 does have a digital section in it, so that could be introducing some noise.

3. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

No it’s in my “man cave” so nothing in there but guitars and amps. The light in the room is LED and the closest TV or anything else is 3 bedrooms away. It does have reverb built in but it doesn’t matter if that’s on or off. The noise stays the same. And same goes with any other setting on the amp. Nothing makes this noise change or stop besides putting it into standby.

I can’t imagine I got two bad amps with the exact same issue. But I’m sure it could happen especially if these are prone to some failure that causes this or if they are just more sensitive to noise. So hopefully someone else with a DSL20 head can chime in.

4. Infant

Infant Active Member

Hi and welcome to Gibson Talk. Trust me, you can definitely get two amps with the same problem. It happened to me with a Roland Cube 80GX that had a fizzy background noise. I returned it and bought another one from a completely different store...same problem. Tried different cables, house circuits, even a different house. Still fuzzed! Yet no one ever mentioned this problem in any reviews that I read.

5. ALLsteven

ALLsteven New Member

Yeah it’s pretty crazy! You would think it would be cheaper for the company to fix the issue than to constantly deal with returns.

But just in case anyone is wondering I talked to Marshall. They say it’s normal because the amp has a gyrator circuit to insure the best possible low end frequency performance and the gyrator circuit will make some noise. However some units may have less noise than others.

With that said I think that’s crazy. What if I want to mic this amp? Every time I stop playing you will hear that mess!!

Secondly I have been talking to some guys on the Marshall forums and one or two guys had the same problem and returned the amp three times before getting one that was perfectly quite. So it is possible to get one that is quite. Just not sure how good those odds are. Appears not very. Lol
    So I’ve decided to exchange this one again because even tho this wasn’t the most expensive Marshall, for $600 I expect it to not make this sound.

Hopefully this helps someone in my shoes!

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Man, you've got some painful shoes! I would exchange it for the same model only if you really love the amp (without the gyrator circuit problem). Personally, I would be more likely to go for a different model, or maybe even a different manufacturer.