Need help to identify an SG model please

Discussion in 'Other Gibson Solid Bodies' started by CRyan68, Jul 25, 2018.

1. CRyan68

CRyan68 New Member

Hi I've just joined this forum in the hope that there is an SG expert who can help me with identifying the model of my SG details as follows:

Serial 399435 (Kalamazoo factory 74-75)
    originally cherry red faded to a more natural appearance, with mini humbuckers.

Apparently there is not much logic to the way the serial numbers from this period were ordered.

The truss rod cover is not original so please ignore that :) nor are the tuners and bridge and tail piece, not sure about the knobs.

You can get a glimpse of the original colour of the finish from the timber under where the bridge sits that has been protected from the light.

It's still a pretty good player, it's had a re fret but needs a new nut, and thinking of sourcing some replacement parts to bring it back into line with what it would have had on it when it came out of the factory.

Thanks a million, have a nice day or night :cool:

Attached Files:

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place. The first and best point of contact is always going to be the manufacture when asking questions. Gibson and Fender are quite good and will answer, even if it's to say their records don't go back that far. They will need pics of the guitar including serial no.

Good luck

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Congratulations on your nice find! It looks like it's still in pretty good shape and will serve you well for many more years. Maybe it's just my bad memory, but I didn't recall any SGs that had mini humbuckers in them. However, after a little research, it appears that the Gibson SG Special was available then with those pickups. How do you like the tones you're getting?

Way back then, we had no idea that these guitars would be desirable in the future, and even more valuable if we didn't swap out parts indiscriminately. We just treated them like hot rods and had our way with them. Pity the fool!

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

If you check the potentiometers (pots) they should have a code:
    [​IMG]
    137(CTS manufacture)XX(the year)xx the week
    So we know the above pot was made the 29th week of 1973 and the guitar cannot be older than that.

5. GibSG

GibSG Member

This is a Norlin SG Special, the bridge is an after market part. ;)

[​IMG]

6. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Assuming the pots are original of course.

I have a Catalina made in 1996/97 and the previous owner had stripped all the wiring, pots out. Don't ask me why!! He replaced the wiring and pots with 50s style, so god knows what dates the pots are.

Still think the best first step should be to contact Gibson. If they don't know the resort to other options.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

I just looked though the SG book (Tony Bacon) and could not find those pickups (black covered mini's) anywhere. So those are probably aftermarket, as is the bridge. The original knobs were usually the bell type with metal inserts, for what it's worth.
    I would tend to agree that what's left is probably from the Norlin era.
    But that's all based on one book, so let me have it guys. ............