New amp day

Discussion in 'Amp Town' started by Infant, May 28, 2018.

1. Infant

Infant Active Member

Picked up a Boss Katana 100 with the channel selector pedal today. This thing is incredible and also incredibly LOUD!!!! Only a couple of months old and mint....still has the showroom feature card on top!! I'm pretty stoked!

Attached Files:

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Congratulations, Rob! Have fun with that little box. I have read a lot of favorable reviews on the Katanas.

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Congratulations Rob. Never tried one, but they are supposed to be good. To be honest, I'm too old to change so will stick to valves

4. Infant

Infant Active Member

John, I'm approaching it from a different direction..I'm too old to be straining my back lugging around heavy tube amps. My Fender amps are in the 45-50 lb range. This weighs a measly 32lbs. That's about 5-7kgs less! Very noticeable at the end of the night while carrying equipment up or down flights of stairs.

I've played a lot in the last 6 months and the one thing I've noticed is that people are tone deaf. They can't tell if you are playing a solid state or tube amp. Hell, when the drummer is bashing away not even I can tell. These newer SS amps do a pretty good job emulating tubes, whatever they can't copy gets lost in the mix.

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

I know what you are saying Rob, I guess I'm too old to change. I have taken the route of having a head + cab, which lightens the load a lot......except for the fact I have two cabs :biggrin: