NGD: Dot

Discussion in 'The Epi Center' started by somebodyelseuk, Oct 4, 2018.

1. As it says in the title, bought an Epi. Dot yesterday, in cherry.
    Traded a much loved, but rarely used '95 Burns Marquee in for it. First 335, so not ready to commit big money and first time I've ever actually traded a guitar in.
    As is 'my way' when I buy guitars, I did my research, went into the store and tried it without plugging in. Unless it's some oddball instrument, you know what it'll sound like, stores don't have my amp set up anyway and if the electrics don't work, I know my way 'round a soldering iron - when you've rewired the engine loom on a Celica GT4, guitars are child's play.
    At this point, I haven'y heard it plugged in yet, but I've sorted the set up out and can report that it feels and plays magnificent.
    Will post a picture later and report on how it sounds.

2. Old Tom

Old Tom New Member

congrats on the new axe, seuk...when you get squared away, you gotta "baptize" it with some Chuck Berry or B.B.King! A new guitar every once
    in a while keeps a man feeling like a kid....

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

Congrats. I love my Dot Deluxe.

4. Infant

Infant Active Member

Congrats! Love to see pics.

I used to have a Dot Royale...awesome guitar after I had it set up. However, I sold it to a friend to make room for an ES137. He still has it and I get to play it from time to time.

Attached Files:

5. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Congratulations! Semi-hollow bodies are a world unto themselves with their own special features.

6. Okidoki...
    I was expecting to be saying it sounded 'meh', but five minutes with a screwdriver improved matters and you can't expect a £300 semi to have pickups capable of riivaling old PAFs.
    Instead, I'm saying it sounded 'meh' - not bad, not great, room for improvement, which I'm confident 5 minutes with a screw driver WOULD have improved.
    They were the usual 'muddy', dropping them a couple of mm reduced the mud, and as I was raising the poles... two 'em disappeared into the pickup!
    So all I can say about the pickups is they sound okayish, but from a build quality POV, they're garbage.
    Ah well, I'm not taking it back. The guitar itself is lively, so I don't want to take the chance on getting one that may not be as good. I would probably have been pulling the brass covers off and replacing what sounds like alnico 5 magnets for 2s anyway.
    So, now I've got to mull over some new pickups... do I go semi-budget ('scuse the pun) or go for a name?
    Apology for the absence of a picture, been a bit busy.

7. Old Tom

Old Tom New Member

That ain't no hill for a stepper like you, amigo.With your electronic skills, if you like
    everything else about it, you can transform it from being "a guitar" to being"your guitar".All I know about pups is-they work or they don't....good luck

8. I can probably just replace the screws and the keeper bar, to be honest. I'm not one to rush a decision, so I'll weigh it up over the weekend. Pickup replacement may be a few weeks away, but a fix could be done in the time it takes the parts to arrive.

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I have a good size box full of pickups that I have swapped around between all my guitars, and it is an ongoing process. Most of my gits have pretty much found their match at this point, but occasionally I get a wild hair to do it all again.

10. UPDATE:
    Well, this morning, got the screwdriver out. Having pondered the issue, and having done some 'research' it occurred to me that the screws are probably threaded into the bobbins and not the keeper bar or baseplate, and that it's probably stripped, thanks to the "diouble vacuum potting" gripping the bottom of the screws. Anyways, flipped the pickup over and found that it was all still tight enough that with some pressure to the bottom of the screw, I could unwind the screws to where I want them.
    So, for the time being, the pickups get a reprieve.

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Well done!

12. Dear diary...
    'Rewired' the Dot this week...
    ...replaced the cheap crappy pots with slightly less cheap crappy pots (Alphas) and "orange drop" caps.
    The original "500k" pots read 380k, 355k,430k and 450k. Went with Alphas, primarily, because I didn't fancy the wood work.Stuck with the original switch, cabling and jack socket and wired '50s/independant' style.
    Much bigger improvement than I was expecting. The tones are tone pots now, rather than muffle switches. Wondering if I've knackered the caps, since I've never had such a dramatic difference before.
    Still toying with throwing a pair of Seymour's Seths in there, but the 'boffin' in me is getting itchy to play around with the '57CH's magnets...
    It's Saturday, sunny and just gone 8 am., here - that's never a good sign ;)

13. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Haha! Well done, but as usual The Quest is not completely over.

14. Infant

Infant Active Member

What year is the Dot? Epiphone started using full size Alpha pots circa 2012.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

15. 2018. They're not Alpha's, they're full size Korean made - the manufacturer is stamped on the casings - 'cheap, crappy pots'.
    I'm sure they'd be reliable, in terms of durability, but in terms of 'production tolerance', they're garbage.
    I had the wiring out, because I prefer the volumes wired independently, and I wanted the tones wired to the outputs. I always check the pots with a meter. If they read right, they go back in. If not, they go in the bin - regardless of whether they're mini, full size CTS etc.

16. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Agreed, when you're working on a semi-hollow body, as long as you've got all the guts out, it only makes sense to put good parts back in there. It's too much work to install inferior potentiometers.

17. Dear diary...
    Well, it's been a while since my last report... mostly thanks to whatever happened with this forum....
    ...anyhoo, last week replaced the standard Epi p/ups - 57CH neck pickups - with a set of Tonerider AC2s.
    Verdict: Meh, you get what you pay for I guess?
    All I can say is, to those people saying these sound better than Gibson pickups, your "Gibson" is probably one of those Chinese counterfeits.
    They're not BAD pickups, they're just nothing special.
    Lesson learned. SD Seths some time in the new year.

18. Infant

Infant Active Member

Are the Toneriders much better than the stock pickups? I didn't mind the stock pickups when I had my Dot. They sounded pretty good with the Alpha pots that came with the guitar. They definitely weren't muddy like many people have mentioned on these forums.

19. Hi Rob.
    No, I don't think they're any better than the Epi p/ups. I think a lot of the criticism of Epi pickups is just down to bad setup, bad amps and cloth ears - let's face it, most Epiphones aren't being sold to middle aged guitarists with £3k amps and 35 years experience.
    In terms of the pots, I bought mine new at the start of October. They may have fitted Alpha pots in the past, but the pots that came out of mine are definitely not Alphas, though Alphas went back in. I posted the readings I took from the original pots, which were so far off, it's beyond funny. That's something else that would account for a lack of high end in a guitar with 'buckers.
    The Epiphone pickups aren't as bad as the internet would have you believe and I don't think any of these 'sub-contracted to a sweatshop' pickups - such as Tonerider, Irongear Wilkinson etc - are any better.

20. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

There is no doubt that Epiphone pickups have improved over where they were years ago.