NTD (new tuners day!)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Infant, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Infant

Infant Active Member

After putting up for years with the horrible “F” tuners on my ‘72 Fender Thinline RI, I finally replaced them today. I found out about Kluson Revolution tuners about a year ago and they are drop in replacements for these ‘70s RI guitars. Split shaft, 19:1 ratio, smooth feel...they are perfect. I slapped them on my Tele and played for about an hour....stayed in tune through it all.

There are some cosmetic differences but the mounting plate matches the OEM holes. Installation was very simple but you must use the supplied ferrules as the shaft diameters are slightly larger than standard. All holes line up with the OEM ones and you should reuse the original screws as the packaged screws are a little smaller in diameter.

I just love how smooth these things are.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Very nice.

Tuners either work or they don't.
    There are only two sets of circumstances when they don't.
    1 - They aren't fixed to the head properly. The cure is to fix 'em to the head properly.
    2 - The gears are worn/badly cut. When they're so bad they won't "stay in tune", they won't tune up to pitch in the first place.

Tuning stability problems are never at the tuners, apart from incompetent stringing.

I've a 40 yo Strat with the original "horrible F tuners". They're as horrible as the day the guitar was made, but they still do their job.

Not a criticism, just a myth busting exercise.

Cheers.

3. Infant

Infant Active Member

I've got a 43 year old Tele with the F tuners and like yours, they keep the guitar in tune. However they aren't very smooth and never have been. The tuners on the reissue were so bad since day one. One would be smooth, the next one would be fine for half a turn and then would be hard to turn for the next half a turn, then the next one would be soooooo hard to turn etc. They also kept the guitar in tune but getting it there was a real pain. I tried resetting them, repacking them with grease etc. I finally had enough and when I saw these and read the reviews, I decided to change.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

4. kaicho8888

kaicho8888 Member

They look like modern durable and precision tuners!

5. GibSG

GibSG Member

Very good choice ! :p

The Kluson Revolution are awesome machine heads, vintage design and new technology, 1/19 ratio, smooth working feeling, plug and play with Fender and Gibson guitars

I removed the GForce on my SG Standard and I installed the Kluson Revolution tuners set. They are light weight, perfect for the Gibson SG and it' s a real pleasure to use them, very good precision !

[​IMG]

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Way to go, Rob! And good choice. I have two sets of tuners (Grover) now that are 18:1 and I really love those lower gear ratios.

7. Infant

Infant Active Member

After noticing how smooth these felt on my Thinline, I decided that I needed to replace the sticky 43 yr old ones on my '75 Tele. I was just changing the strings the other night and realized that those old tuners "F" tuners just weren't cutting it anymore and I want to start gigging the old Tele a bit more often.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

8. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Time for an upgrade!