p90 Buzz

Discussion in 'The Epi Center' started by bongo122819, Jan 11, 2019.

1. bongo122819

bongo122819 New Member

my new Epi 339 P90 Pro starts to buzz like a chainsaw when plugged into my DRRI.
    Changing cables only helps a slight bit. If I turn my back to the amp I can find a small sweet spot with no buzz but that's not real practical.
    Anybody have this problem? where to start the troubleshooting ?
    thanks in advance

2. Infant

Infant Active Member

Hi Bongo and welcome to Gibson Talk. I'd also like to welcome you to the world of single coil pickups. I've got Telecasters and a P90 equipped Melody Maker and they all buzz. However make sure you don't have a dimmer switch in close proximity or on the same circuit. Fluorescent lights will do it too. Last night my humbucking equipped ES137 was buzzing like a hive of bees thru my Deluxe Reverb until I turned off the dimmer switch. I own an EH Hum Debugger that I bring to gigs in case I run into 60 cycle hum/buzz. works like a charm.

3. bongo122819

bongo122819 New Member

Thanks Infant.
    Strange thing is that the 339 is a serious Buzz. My Gibson Blues Hawk w/ P90s is relatively silent. I will double check the
    nearby electrical stuff.
    The EH Hum Debugger ?........hmmmm, sounds like a European Sex Toy ?

4. Infant

Infant Active Member

!!!!

Your Blues Hawk has a dummy coil between the two pickups (accessed from the back of the guitar if I recall). This dummy coil acts like a humbucking coil with the other pickups.