Real Sheraton?

Discussion in 'The Epi Center' started by monkeyclaw, Jun 3, 2018.

1. monkeyclaw

monkeyclaw New Member

I just picked up a used Sheraton from Guitar Center. I know there are lots of fakes of Gibson guitars, but had not considered that someone would fake an Epi. I'm wondering how one can tell if an Epi is authentic? I checked the serial # against the http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx, and mine seems to check out as far as the number. But the serial # isn't embossed, but appears to be printed on the headstock.
    Given that Epis are made in so many places, and there doesn't appear to be any one standard for IDing them, it just makes me curious about mine. Anyone know or have a definitive resource they can point me to?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place. Nice looking guitar. The DEFINITIVE resource is always the manufacturer, contact Epiphone.

Those internet guitar dating sites are not that accurate and you will often get differing advice from 'experts' on the internet, so I always contact manufacturers to see if they can help. Gibson and Fender have always responded to my queries, They will need to see pics including the serial no.

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

Like John said, ask the Mother Ship for definitive info. But I have owned several Epi Sheratons, and from the pictures you posted, I don't see anything that indicates this is not an Epiphone Sheraton.

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

Counterfeit paranoia is becoming epidemic.

5. GibSG

GibSG Member

Counterfeit paranoia is becoming epidemic.

6. SAguitar

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following me!

How can it be worth it to counterfeit a Korean made guitar?

7. Infant

Infant Active Member

Because that Korean made guitar can be counterfeited for probably 1/4 of the price and the parents buying one for their kid probably don't know the difference between a real or fake Epi.

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Agree. These scumbags don't just copy expensive items. They can make more money with less risk counterfeiting cheaper goods.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

I have seen a couple of Epi counterfeits in the wild. They were both Rivieras and the buyers paid approximately $350 usd, from the Chinese vendor.
    I don't know what their profit margins are on those. I strongly suspect, based upon the ones brought to me for setup and/or mods, that they sell more Gibson Les Paul copies with Stratocaster and Gretsch semi-hollows in close second and third spots. I have yet to meet an owner of a counterfeit who bought it unaware of it's provenance, but I will assume that are a few.
    edit: I know one owner of a counterfeit Gibson who claims ignorance. I am skeptical.

10. BGreene

BGreene New Member

I can tell you definitively that many Epiphone's did have stickers on them, and not embossed serial numbers. That might make them somewhat easier to counterfeit, but it is NOT an indication that it is. And if that guitar is a fake, it's the best done fake I've seen to date. I'm saying real Epi without a doubt, at least from the pics.

11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

I'm currently looking at that same guitar. After playing with it for a half hour, I don't care who built it. It played very nicely and had some great tones. Easily one of the nicest of all the semi-hollows that I've ever played. And that's 60 years of experience talking, for what that's worth.
    If GC honors their latest coupon, I'll bring it home next week. I'm really waiting for a decent case to arrive.

12. SAguitar

Well played! Enjoy that Sherry, they are great guitars.