Sacrilege or Not?

Discussion in 'The Epi Center' started by greg.lafave, Jul 14, 2017.

1. greg.lafave

greg.lafave New Member

IMG_7198.jpg IMG_7196.JPG IMG_6836.jpg IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg

For purely asthetic reasons I spent the past 2-3 months altering my Epi headstock into a Gibson lookalike. I've heard of this being done by others but don't have a sense of whether this is a no-no or not. I did it as a personal challenge to see if I could get it to the quality needed to satisfy me.

I will never represent this guitar as authentic nor will it ever be sold.

The project got conceived when I found a NOS veneer on eBay. The rest was chisels, a coping saw, a jewelers file set and a few cans of nitrocellulose lacquer.

Well, I think it turned out great. The only thing keeping it looking like a real Epiphone is the slightly straighter headstock angle of 14• vs the 17• angle on a Gibson.

So... am I banned from the forum or am I OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Infant

Infant Active Member

Hmmm....you may not sell it but what happens after you "pass on" so to speak...? (hopefully not for a long time!)

I did that with a Strat that I once built...a '62 hardtail replica. I have a set of lettering punches and punched/stamped the word "replica" into the back of the headstock similar to the way that Gibson serial #'s are stamped into the headstock. There are a few other things that "those in the know" would notice but a novice wouldn't. That's why I did what I did. Right now it's my son's guitar but I've been contemplating sanding the logo off the headstock and leaving it blank. But since it's his guitar, I wont touch it except to play it or set it up.

I wouldn't ban you myself but there will be some that won't agree with what you did. You may want to consider doing what I did.

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

It did turn our rather nice! You've got some skills there, buddy. As long as you're not misrepresenting it, I don't see a problem.

I did a similar but less involved blasphemy once a long time ago. There was this big argument on the 'net about a Japanese Fender Custom Shop. So I got a Fender Custom Shop decal and put it on the back of a Fender Japan neck. I sprayed some clear coats over it so it looked pretty good. I posted a few pics of it and got some real irate responses. Oh well, it was a joke!

I still have that Strat, but I don't have pics of it anymore, so don't ask!

4. greg.lafave

greg.lafave New Member

[​IMG]

IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7292.jpg

After all of the coats of lacquer and finally getting it all polished it really came out much nicer than I could have imagined. It even wears a real G-Force tuner. Another eBay find. Thank you for the compliments.

It doesn't play any better, if you must know.

Attached Files:

5. Infant

Infant Active Member

It really is nice work.....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

6. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR New Member

If I were to do that, I would put the Epiphone logo back on

7. greg.lafave

greg.lafave New Member

There were Japan made open book shaped headstocks with Epiphone inlays in the 70s. I just learned this after seeing one of these guitars on eBay. Very rare. If I would have seen one of those NOS veneers on eBay instead of this one in the real India ink dyed hornbeam w mother of pearl inlay I would have happily used it. Thanks for the input.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR New Member

Certainly no judgement here. Just my preference

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

The overall job looks good. But installing that G-force immediately reduced any value back to Gibson's 2015 equivalent rates. And those guitars are not selling as well as the Epiphone models of that time. If they are selling at all.
    Sort of an instant karma affair.
    Don

10. bugo

bugo New Member

Unless you are buried with the guitar, somebody else will have the guitar one day, and somebody will be pissed off when they realize they got scammed.

I don't understand why anyone would do this. It reeks of insecurity to me. I have lower priced guitars and I would never try to make them something they're not. I have enough self esteem to know that a Gibson logo on an Epiphone guitar isn't going to make me play any better. It isn't trying to be something it's not. I'd much rather have a real Epiphone than a phony fake Gibson.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

11. jimilee

jimilee Member

How dare you do whatever you want to your gear. Don’t you realize that this is not a free nation.....oh wait....!
    [​IMG]

12. indianation65

indianation65 Active Member

They are just guitars, and they are yours.
    If you decide to sell, be sure and speak up to the buyer, but otherwise, no biggie.

I too, really disliked my huge Epi headstocks on a couple of Epiphone Les Paul Signature semi-hollows. I cut them and reshaped, but created my own shape.

When I posted about it in this forum, I did not get any applause for it, but again, no biggie.

Do what you will, nobody really cares.

...wisdom

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

" But installing that G-force immediately reduced any value back to Gibson's 2015 equivalent rates."
    LOL, a hyperactive amygdala at work. First off, since they require no mounting screws, there will be no evidence they were ever there should the OP replace them with Klusons or Grovers. Second, and I know this will irritate some of you no end, I have had two Tronical type I tuners in use for well over 150 gigs and countless hours of jamming. I re-calibrate them once in a great while and recharge them every few weeks. They are still working flawlessly. Maybe I'm the outlier who actually read the owners manual.........

14. Bcorig

Bcorig New Member

It’s your guitar. You can do with it what you wish. You did good work to see if you could do it but somehow didn’t question whether you should do it (stolen from “Jurassic Park”).
    Punch stamping “Replica” as suggested by another poster to assure no future confusion (unless someday, or evening, you plan to go Townsend with it at the end of a performance) seems a good compromise assuage any of your doubts.

15. Bcorig

Bcorig New Member

As to whether you should be banned, I just joined yesterday so I’ve little currency to form an opinion.
    “It’s no hanging matter. It’s no capital crime”

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  16. Bcorig

Bcorig New Member

I can’t stop laughing

17. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Hi and welcome to this place.

Personally, I disagree with what you have done. To me it's an infringement of copyright.

I tend to agree with Bugo. Why?

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

" To me it's an infringement of copyright."
    Trademark infringement, maybe, but since the two trademarks are owned by the same parent company that might even be a wobbler. What it is is counterfeiting, not legal and to my mind not a good idea. Lots of thieves wouldn't bother stealing an Epi just to get a couple of bucks, but they see that Gibson and bye-bye baby. Just saying.

19. 4thwisemonkey

4thwisemonkey New Member

I did this to a *** squire turned it into a Clapton strat for my son ,and got slated for it. it looks good long as you don't start knocking them off on ebay every week lol,

20. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I got out one of my guitars that I haven't played for awhile, and remembered that I have done a similar change on a Fender Strat. Many years ago, on another forum, there was a long running discussion on whether Fender had a Custom Shop in Japan. I don't think they ever did, but just for a laugh I got a decal off Ebay and put in one one of my MIJ Strats. I even put a couple of thin coats of clear over it to make it look a bit more "authentic." It was never intended to be any more than a joke, and was never taken as more than that. In a way it was already a counterfeit guitar, since it is one of Fender's Foto Flame series. I'm never gonna sell it and when I do pass on I will probably remove the decal from the back of the headstock. No harm, no foul.