Sapele Blues Jr. Cabinet

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Stratman54, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Stratman54

Stratman54 New Member

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and hope to learn more about gibsons and epis.

Ive been playing since I was 12, so that puts it at about 50 year. I used to play a Ibanez LP but moved to single coils awhile ago. Thinking about picking up an epi LP and give HBs another shot.

I thought I wouls share some pics of a project I recently finished. It is an oversized Blues Jr. Cabinet I made out of sapele. I used a locking miter joint that is strong and beautiful. I have seen a number of cabs made with finger or dovetails but don't care for the finished look. Sapele is from the mahogany family.

Hope you like it.

capture_17.jpg

capture_13.jpg

capture_18.jpg

capture_15.jpg

capture_11.jpg

2. MikeyH

MikeyH New Member

Beautiful work Stratman. We used to use lock-miter joints in cabinets we built for display cases back in the 80's. Tricky to get them together without breaking the cross-grain tongue (on the sides of your cab). Looks like you really took your time and paid a lot of attention to the details. Hope it sounds great when it's loaded with the hardware.

Like you, I'm more of a Fender guy, only one Gibson (avatar), partly because those heavy guitars are kinda' pricey. I suspect we may share the same year of manufacture—1954?.

3. Infant

Infant Active Member

That's absolutely gorgeous Stratman. Beautiful fit and finish.

Welcome to Gibson talk. I too have more Fenders than Gibbys

4. bigarm

bigarm New Member

Beautiful!

5. Macon

Macon New Member

That looks awesome stratman. I wish I had one!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:39 AM
  6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Incredibly beautiful work! If I had one of those it would never leave the house!

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

It looks great. I'm just wondering how you hung the chassis.

8. d man

d man New Member

One word: WOWZA!!!!

By the way, it appears none of the boards were edge joined. If I may ask, where did you find sapele wide enough for making it out of a single board?

9. Stratman54

Stratman54 New Member

I haven't drilled the holes in the top yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Stratman54

Stratman54 New Member

I have a source in Birmingham AL where I can order boards 11" or better. Makes the job easier. Sorry to take so long to respond. Haven't been on the forum in awhile.

Thanks for the WOWZA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. d man

d man New Member

That's OK....neither have I! If you wouldn't mind telling me your source, I'd love to order some boards.