SG (Gibson vs Epi)

Discussion in 'The Epi Center' started by sothoth, Oct 16, 2017.

1. sothoth

sothoth New Member

I made two attempts with Epi SGs. First was a red SG400 and then a Pelham blue SG Pro. I couldn’t love either one. I tried swapping pickups, bridges, required them with upgraded pots and caps, but they always sounded dull to me. Plugged in or unamplified, they sounded bad.

I finally broke down and got a Gibson SG STD T in Pelham blue and totally love the sound. Unamplified and amplified.

Why??

Is there a big difference in tonewoods? I have always been reluctant to believe that Gibson was much different from Epi. Maybe I had a run of bad luck but I can play them back to back and totally tell the difference in tone.

Is it my imagination??

2. GibSG

GibSG Member

Because it is a Gibson, the Gibson give you very good vibrations , so good !

3. sothoth

sothoth New Member

Due to different tone woods?

I’ll avoid further references to vibrating objects :)

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Well-Known Member

Hah! Epiphone does make some good guitars, but they don't sink as much into materials as Gibson. So sometimes you get fortunate and find a great one among the masses.

5. sothoth

sothoth New Member

Well no one seems that surprised by my experience. Guess I was the last to know :)

6. SAguitar

I have played some of the "lesser" brands that great guitars, and I have stumbled onto a very few of the more expensive brands that weren't quite up to the their best. But overall, you do tend to get more if you pay more.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have both Gibson and Epi SGs and they are both great guitars. But, considering the simplicity of the SG's build, that really is not much of an argument for quality of sound. The primary factors here are the mahogany body and neck, and currently, Gibson does not have a lock on quality of either of those components.

8. SAguitar

Mahogany is a very consistent wood, and probably why it has been used for so long and so well. Another key component to a solid body's tone is the glue joint between the body and the neck, and that contributes a lot to tone and sustain.

9. Greg Pel

Greg Pel New Member

As far as a big difference in sound unplugged it could be the nut or the strings on your epi. Comparison between epi and Gibson is Apple's vrs oranges. If you put a bone nut and high quality orange drop caps in a epi SG 400 pro you should be satisfied. The range of tone is about as wide as any guitar plus all my amps and boxes respond better.

10. sothoth

sothoth New Member

Nut was stock, all electronics and even pickups were swapped. Paper/oil caps and Bournes pots. Could be the nut but I suspect neck/body materials.

11. speedy454

speedy454 Member

Body and neck construction are significantly different between the two.
    Gibson uses a one or two piece select mahogany body and a fairly thin lacquer finish.
    Epiphone uses multiple sections of low grade mahogany glued together with a thin mahogany veneer cap on the front and back all coated in a relatively thick urethane finish.
    Gibson uses a one piece select grade mahogany neck with a 17 degree headstock, again with a relatively thin lacquer finish.
    Epiphone uses a two piece neck with a scarf joint near the 15 degree headstock, again finished in a relatively thick urethane finish.

These differences all contribute to the differences in sound and resonance when unplugged.

The Gibson is typically more resonate, louder and brighter unplugged. This difference can't help but be included in the sound when plugged in playing clean.

arcticsg likes this.
  12. SAguitar

And those are just a few of the differences that you get when you pay for upscale guitar. That's not to say that you can't get some very good Epiphones and make great music with them. I have been playing for a long time and have just been fortunate enough to own some great Gibsons that I enjoy playing.

13. bugo

bugo New Member

And sometimes you will get a dud Gibson.
    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk