SG vs SG

Discussion in 'Other Gibson Solid Bodies' started by sothoth, Sep 18, 2018.

1. sothoth

sothoth New Member

I got a Pelham blue SG limited run (barely used) several months ago and love it. More recently I got a 61 reissue and am surprised it sounds so much different when played without an amp.

Not that it’s a problem or anything but the blue limited is pretty bright sounding and I put a set of Bareknuckle Riff Raffs on it and it sounds pretty sweet to me.

The 61 is much warmer and bass heavy.

Amplified... obviously other factors make a difference. But acoustically they’re really different.

Don’t get why they sound so different. Any thoughts? Different grades of mahogany? Something else?

2. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Spy versus Spy!

Yup, different woods is probably the main thing. Actually, guitars made from different trees from the same forest can have tonal differences.

3. sothoth

sothoth New Member

This is a massive difference. I’m still surprised. One is bright enough to acoustically sound like a fender.

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

I would think it's a good thing to have different tonalities! You wouldn't want two guitars that sounded the same, would you? Well, I guess you might if you wanted one just as a stage backup. I have done that.

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Member

Between my son and I we have four SG's. They all sound different.

6. sothoth

sothoth New Member

Do you each have two or is the ownership lopsided at 3:1 or something?

7. Like SAgyutar says, two dufferent trees in the same forest can sound different... I'd go further, two planks from the same tree can sound different, since no two pieces - even from the same tree - have exactly the same 'grain print'.
    Add to that, you say one's a reissue, so possibly different construction methods, differebt dimensions, different bridge/nut/fret materials...
    The reissues are made as close to how they used to make them. Production models are made to a budget.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

" I'd go further, two planks from the same tree can sound different, since no two pieces - even from the same tree - have exactly the same 'grain print'."
    Amen.

Attached Files:

9. sothoth

sothoth New Member

That’s a lot of SGs. Where’s your telecaster?