Swap out vintage tuners

Discussion in 'Les Paul Discussion Page' started by Dahmort, May 11, 2018.

1. Dahmort

Dahmort New Member

Hello!

I'd like to remove the vintage style green key tuners from my Les Paul copy and replace with regular style tuners that hold tune better.

I'd also like to replace the humbucker pickups with pups that are a little brighter. The ones that came with the guitar are very dark and muddy.

Any ideas, links, suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

2. jimilee

jimilee Member

Well, what sound are you looking for and I like Grover tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

" Les Paul copy"covers a lot of ground. Most Epiphone LPs benefit from pickup height adjustment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeHgXlnh1c
    Other than that, I have Gibson 57 classics in my Epi SG. GFS make a number of suitable pickups.
    "vintage" implies that the tuner posts are 8mm. in diameter. Most modern tuners are 10mm. Make sure you have the right size replacement or are prepared to drill out the headstock to accommodate larger bore tuners.

4. Dahmort

Dahmort New Member

Thank you for your comments and questions. I'm more accustomed to Stratocaster and Telecaster pickups so that's why I bought the Les Paul style guitar. I want the full, rich sound of humbuckers. I don't want the thinner sound like a single coil tends to produce.

5. Infant

Infant Active Member

Is this an Epiphone LP copy?

6. Dahmort

Dahmort New Member

It's an off brand Les Paul copy

7. Infant

Infant Active Member

Would it be posibly to take photos of the front and back of the headstock. That way we can see what the current tuners look like and whether they are actual vintage style tuners with pressed in bushings or newer ones made to look vintage. It's okay, we don't frown upon off brand stuff here. We are nice guys and try to help if we can.

Oh and welcome to Gibson Talk.

I wouldn't put high end pickups on a low end guitar. Like Biddlin said, GFS has some pretty good low cost pickups. They seem to get decent reviews. Some of their Wilkinson tuners are pretty good too while being quite inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

8. Dahmort

Dahmort New Member

Here are some photos[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Infant

Infant Active Member

Those appear to be pressed in vintage bushings so think any vintage tuners should fit. However, it is best to remove one of the bushings and measure it just to be sure. The "no-name" GFS vintage tuners are probably not much better than what you currently have on there. You may want to check stew-mac, all parts and warmoth for Grover or Gotoh tuners. I put Grover vintage tuners on my Melody Maker and they've been rock solid. Gotohs are also highly rated.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

+1-"I put Grover vintage tuners on my Melody Maker and they've been rock solid."

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

Attached Files:

12. Infant

Infant Active Member

Hey Biddlin, do you still have your Melody Makers? The Klusons that came on it were quite good too but I didn't like the plastic buttons (looked cheap) and while looking I found these oval button Grovers with the split shaft like Fender vintage tuners. Since i love split shaft tuners for ease of string changes, I jumped on them right away. Unfortunately, they weren't drop-in replacements as I also had to pick up some adapter bushings.

https://www.grotro.com/Grover/VINTAGE/Deluxe-Guitar-Machines-133-Series

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Member

Yup, I actually dig the navy bean tuners. A nostalgia thing, I guess.

14. Dahmort

Dahmort New Member

Wow! Thank you guys for so the great advice and links! I'm very grateful