Walter Becker RIP....dead at 67

Discussion in 'Les Paul Discussion Page' started by Infant, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Infant

Infant Active Member

2. Srini

Srini New Member

Whoa! Now, there's a shocker! I'm at a loss for words....RIP!

Srini

3. Infant

Infant Active Member

Just realized I posted this in the wrong place...

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Wow, that is a huge loss for the music realm. Rest in peace, brother, and thanks for all you gave us.

5. Infant

Infant Active Member

I took out my vinyl version of Aja and listened to it this afternoon

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Everything that Becker and Fagan recorded was priceless, soulful and impeccable.

7. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

Never been a fan of their music, but always sad to see a talent die way too early.

8. Srini

Srini New Member

Becker and Fagen were, to me, the ultimate geniuses of contemporary popular music. Personally, after Steely Dan of the late 70s, there was nothing left to listen to - not even the later Steely Dan.

Srini

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Have you checked out Donald Fagan's solo albums, they are some of my favorites in my entire collection, and Becker is on several of those.

10. Srini

Srini New Member

Stan, the only solo album I had was Nightfly, which was very much like a Steely Dan album I thought. For some reason, most of the excerpts I heard after that - Fagen's solo work as well as Steely Dan - seemed like a caricature of their classic material. To me, it seemed like they were trying to chase after their own tails. This, of course, is my personal opinion and I'm sure people will disagree, but for me, nothing compares to Aja and Gaucho.

Srini

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

That's cool! To each their own, my friend. I love Nightfly, and Kamakiriad (from 1993) is one of my favorite of his CDs, but that's just me.

12. Infant

Infant Active Member

I used to have Nightfly years ago...loved it. Then I lent it to someone (can't remember who) and I never saw it again.

13. Srini

Srini New Member

My favorite story from Nightfly involves Larry Carlton. Apparently they flew him in to NYC from LA and he showed up with just his guitar. Donald Fagen wanted to know where his tweed Deluxe was, to which Larry said he figured he'd just use one of their amps. Fagen insisted on getting that particular amp, and had it delivered - that was the amp Larry used for the Kid Charlemagne solo.

Nightfly was definitely a great album!

14. Srini

Srini New Member

Upon reflection, I can't help thinking that in popular music's general environment of image, rock stardom, guitar godliness, high profile celebrity demeanor..Steely Dan have always been pretty low key with such a focus on the substance of the music. To me, it seems that even in death, Walter embodied this quality, announcing it without much hoopla on his website, not even providing a cause - not that that matters much.

For the co-driver of a band that Lee Ritenour once said was the only one that rivaled the Beatles (I'm paraphrasing, of course), its a valuable life lesson for me anyway. For some reason, sad as this is, I feel far less trepidation at my own demise now and, more importantly, a far greater impetus to live my life with as little fanfare as possible.

I apologize for the somewhat morbid nature of this post, but I know you guys will understand.

Srini