What kind of amp?

Discussion in 'Les Paul Discussion Page' started by Chris80, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Chris80

Chris80 New Member

What kind of amps do you guys play through at home? What kind of music do you play?
    I use either a Fender Mustang 1 or my Line6 SpiderV 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. circles

circles New Member

Depending on my mood my Blackstar Fly or my Fender Supersonic 22. Usually the Fly though as I mostly play along with videos/backing tracks at home. Just wish the delay was longer on it.

3. Chris80

Chris80 New Member

I need a different routine. I try to play along to music in my iTunes but sometimes that’s just tedious. I need to look into those backing tracks

4. Infant

Infant Active Member

The backing track are great. I like downloading blues and jazz type tracks. Sometimes I download them to my ipod or phone and play them thru my PA. I'll plug into my SFDR and jam along. Great way to spend a couple of hours.

5. Chris80

Chris80 New Member

Where can I get them from?

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

At home I have several choices, but I usually play through a much modded Epiphone Valve Jr. It's only produces 5 watts but it's loud enough for my garage where I practice. I play contemporary Christian rock music which basically means I have to produce almost any tone, from U2, to Classic Rock, to country or blues. I practice to mp3s off my phone, which is plugged into a small stereo setup.

7. Chris80

Chris80 New Member

I’m mostly rock and hard rock. I do get the metal bug now and again so I’ll break out my esp and throw some Metallica on. Lately I’ve really gotten in Joe Bonamassa. Slash has ALWAYS been my #1 for 30 years now lol. I want to get better.

8. Infant

Infant Active Member

Just Google "guitar backing tracks"

9. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

I normally don't play through an amp, if I have a twiddle at home. On the rare occasions I do want to play through an amp, I have a little Vox AC4TV.

10. circles

circles New Member

11. Epitune

Epitune New Member

I use a Marshall mg30cfx for everything, plenty of power and features.

12. Gus54

Gus54 New Member

I use a Vox AC4c1 PL (LSU purple) into an oversize 2x10 Panama cab on a stand.
    I just play background elevator/dentist office noodling Muzak and along with youtube videos as I can. Being retired now I may look for a real teacher.

13. Chris80

Chris80 New Member

I’m tossing up the idea of a tube amp. I have a 4 month old Line 6 V120 so I’m out of luck there unless I can get most of my $$ by selling it. I’m looking between the Marshall Dsl40 or the Blackstar HT club 40

14. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Both of those choices are great little amps in my book!

15. johnreardon

johnreardon Active Member

If you just want an amp for playing at home then unless you live in a home well away from neighbours, both of those are way too loud.

I used to have the Blackstar and used it for gigging. Best amps for home playing are either a low wattage (5w) valve amp or a solid state.

16. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

John is right, I have a 5w Epiphone Valve Junior that I play through a lot at home, and if I crank it up my wife cannot hear her TV in the next room. So yeah, I play it pretty quietly at home to keep the peace. But if she's gone I can turn it up until it sings.

Even so, I have a little attenuator that I can use on it if I want to, but I usually just turn the amp down and kick on a stompbox for overdrive.

17. Infant

Infant Active Member

Depends if you ever want to gig with it. Like John and Stan said, those are too loud for bedroom use. I have a 6 watt SF Fender Champ that is very loud if cranked up. I also have my sons old SS Tweed Bronco sitting downstairs. Both great little amps for bedroom use, however, no effects. Boss has the Katana series of SS amps, loaded with Boss effects (other effects can be downloaded) and they come with a selector that allows you to reduce the output down to 5watts. They come in 50 and 100 watt models so they are very giggable too. I tried a 50 watter out a few weeks ago and was very impressed. Very lightweight too!

18. Axis29

Axis29 New Member

'58 High Power Tweed Twin or my '59 Bassman Ri most of the time at home. Same amps I gig with. (I got a pretty big practice room though)

I'm playing Blues.

19. Chris80

Chris80 New Member

I started looking into the Bugera as well. I’ve never played a tube amp before. Besides “warmth” is it really a game changer?

20. SAguitar

SAguitar Active Member

Well, once you've played through a good tube amp, you may be spoiled for life.